Generic Name and Formulations:
Aztreonam 1g, 2g; for IM or IV inj after reconstitution; sodium-free.
Indications for AZACTAM:
Susceptible bacterial infections, including septicemia, lower respiratory tract, complicated or uncomplicated urinary tract, skin and skin structure, gynecologic, intraabdominal. Surgical adjunct.
UTI: 500mg–1g every 8–12hrs. Other systemic infections: moderately severe: 1–2g every 8–12hrs; severe: 2g every 6–8hrs. All: max 8g/day. Max 1g/dose by IM. Renal impairment (CrCl 10–30mL/min): ½ of dose after loading dose; CrCl <10mL/min: see full labeling.
<9mos: not established. Not for septicemia or certain skin and skin structure infections; see full labeling. 9mos–16yrs (normal renal function only): urinary tract, lower respiratory tract, intraabdominal, gynecologic infections: mild-to-moderate: 30mg/kg IV every 8hrs; moderate-to-severe: 30mg/kg IV every 6–8hrs; max 120mg/kg/day. May need higher dose in patients with cystic fibrosis.
Penicillin, cephalosporin, carbapenem, or other allergy. Renal or hepatic impairment; monitor during therapy. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers; consider temporary formula feedings.
May potentiate nephrotoxicity of concomitant aminoglycosides (esp. at high doses or prolonged use); monitor renal function. Avoid concomitant β-lactamase-inducing drugs (eg, cefoxitin, imipenem).
Local reactions (eg, phlebitis, discomfort), GI upset, rash, anaphylaxis, blood dyscrasias, elevated liver enzymes or serum creatinine; C. difficile-associated diarrhea, superinfection; rare: toxic epidermal necrolysis.
Single-dose vials (15mL)—10; GALAXY containers (50mL)—24
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL