Bacitracin Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bacitracin 50000Units/vial; pwd for IM inj after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Bacitracin Injection:
Treatment of infants with pneumonia and empyema caused by susceptible staphylococci infections.
Give by IM inj in upper outer quadrant of buttocks. Rotate inj site. <2.5kg: 900Units/kg/day in 2‒3 divided doses. >2.5kg: 1000Units/kg/day in 2‒3 divided doses.
Administer only where adequate lab facilities available with constant patient supervision. Monitor renal function; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Maintain adequate fluid intake.
Avoid concomitant nephrotoxic drugs (eg, streptomycin, kanamycin, polymyxin B, polymyxin E (colistin), neomycin).
Nephrotoxicity (albuminuria, cylindruria, azotemia), nausea, vomiting, inj site pain, rash; superinfection.
Formerly known under the brand name BACiiM.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure