Bacitracin Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Bacitracin 50000Units/vial; pwd for IM inj after reconstitution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Bacitracin Injection:
Treatment of infants with pneumonia and empyema caused by susceptible staphylococci infections.
Give by IM inj in upper outer quadrant of buttocks. Rotate inj site. <2.5kg: 900Units/kg/day in 2‒3 divided doses. >2.5kg: 1000Units/kg/day in 2‒3 divided doses.
Administer only where adequate lab facilities available with constant patient supervision. Monitor renal function; discontinue if nephrotoxicity occurs. Maintain adequate fluid intake.
Avoid concomitant nephrotoxic drugs (eg, streptomycin, kanamycin, polymyxin B, polymyxin E (colistin), neomycin).
Nephrotoxicity (albuminuria, cylindruria, azotemia), nausea, vomiting, inj site pain, rash; superinfection.
Formerly known under the brand name BACiiM.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics