Generic Name and Formulations:
Rufinamide 200mg, 400mg; scored tabs.
Indications for BANZEL:
Adjunctive treatment of seizures in Lennox-Gastaut syndrome.
Take with food in 2 equally divided doses. ≥17yrs: initially 400–800mg per day; increase by 400–800mg/day every other day up to max 3200mg/day. Avoid abrupt cessation (reduce dose by 25% every 2 days).
Take with food in 2 equally divided doses. <1yrs: not established. 1–<17yrs: initially 10mg/kg per day; increase every other day by 10mg/kg up to max 45mg/kg per day or 3200mg/day (whichever is less). Avoid abrupt cessation (reduce dose by 25% every 2 days).
Familial short QT syndrome.
Increased risk of suicidal thoughts or behavior; monitor for new or worsening of depression, suicidal thoughts, or unusual changes. Severe hepatic impairment: not recommended. Mild to moderate hepatic impairment. Dialysis (may adjust dose). Monitor for multi-organ hypersensitivity reactions; discontinue if suspected. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with drugs that shorten QT interval. CNS depression with alcohol, other CNS depressants. Antagonizes carbamazepine, lamotrigine, triazolam. May potentiate phenobarbital, phenytoin. Potentiated by valproate (reduce doses). Antagonized by carbamazepine, phenobarbital, primidone, phenytoin. May affect substrates of CYP3A4, CYP2E1 (monitor). Antagonizes hormonal contraceptives (use non-hormonal forms too). May be affected by inducers or inhibitors of carboxylesterases.
Headache, dizziness, fatigue, somnolence, nausea, incoordination, gait disturbances, ataxia, visual disturbances, leukopenia, fever/rash.
Tabs—120; Susp—460mL (w. adapter & dosing syringe)
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL