Generic Name and Formulations:
Interferon beta-1b 0.3mg; per vial; pwd for SC inj after reconstitution; contains albumin (human), mannitol; preservative-free.
Indications for BETASERON:
To reduce the frequency of clinical exacerbations of relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS) in patients who have experienced a first clinical episode and have MRI features consistent with MS.
Pre-medicate with analgesics and/or antipyretics on treatment days to ameliorate flu-like symptoms. May be administered by syringe and needle or Betaconnect autoinjector. ≥18yrs: initially 0.0625mg (0.25mL) SC every other day; increase by 25% every 2 weeks to target dose of 0.25mg (1mL) SC every other day.
<18yrs: not established.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of hepatic injury; consider discontinuing if elevated transaminase levels or jaundice occurs. Depression. Suicidal ideation. Pre-existing CHF: monitor for worsening cardiac function at initiation and during treatment. Risk of thrombotic microangiopathy, drug-induced lupus erythematosus; discontinue if occurs. Myelosuppression. Monitor CBCs, differential, platelets, blood chemistries; liver function (at 1, 3, and 6 months then periodically). Pregnancy (Cat.C; may be abortifacient). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Risk of hepatic injury with concomitant hepatotoxic drugs or alcohol.
Inj site reactions, lymphopenia, flu-like symptoms, myalgia, leukopenia, neutropenia, increased liver enzymes, headache, hypertonia, pain, rash, insomnia, abdominal pain, asthenia; inj site necrosis (suspend therapy if multiple lesions occur); rare: hepatic injury, anaphylaxis, possible seizures.
Single-use vials (w. prefilled diluent syringe, supplies)—5, 14
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd