Generic Name and Formulations:
Tetanus and reduced diphtheria toxoid, acellular pertussis vaccine (aluminum hydroxide adsorbed); susp for IM inj; preservative-free.
Indications for BOOSTRIX:
Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis booster immunization in patients ≥10 years of age.
Adults and Children:
<10yrs: not recommended. ≥10yrs (≥5yrs after last childhood DTwP or DTaP or adult Td vaccine): 0.5mL IM once into deltoid muscle.
Encephalopathy within 7 days after previous DTaP or DTwP vaccination.
Guillain-Barre syndrome (within 6 weeks) after previous tetanus toxoid vaccine: see literature. Progressive or unstable neurologic disorders (eg, cerebrovascular events, acute encephalopathic conditions). Previous Arthus-type hypersensitivity reaction: not recommended until ≥10yrs after prior dose of tetanus toxoid-containing vaccine. Immunosuppressed. Have epinephrine available. Latex allergy. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see literature. Immunosuppressants (eg, radiation, chemotherapy, high-dose steroids): may get suboptimal response.
Local reactions (eg, pain), fever, headache, fatigue, GI upset.
Register pregnant patients exposed to Boostrix by calling (888) 452-9622. Report adverse events to VAERS by calling (800) 822-7967.
Vials (single dose)—10; Prefilled syringes (without needles)—1, 5, 10
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure