PVSRIPO is a prototypic oncolytic recombinant polio virus vaccine that recognizes the poliovirus receptor CD155, which is widely expressed in neoplastic cells of solid tumors.
Neuroblastoma survivors are at elevated risk for psychological impairment.
Participants receiving TTFields with temozolomide experienced significantly longer deterioration-free survival for global health vs those receiving temozolomide only.
A study pinpointed clinical factors associated with pediatric brain neoplasms to assist clinicians in making neuroimaging decisions.
Treatment with lomustine plus bevacizumab does not show a survival advantage over treatment with lomustine alone in patients with glioblastoma.
1p/19q non-co-deleted anaplastic gliomas are associated with lower sensitivity to chemotherapy and worse prognosis than 1p/19q co-deleted tumors.
In patients with melanoma brain metastases, overall survival has increased since 2000.
The use of postoperative stereotactic radiosurgery could be a substitute for whole-brain radiotherapy, which has been linked to cognitive adverse effects.
Nearly half of the patients in the trial survived more than 5 years after they were given the vaccine-chemotherapy treatment.
Despite previous reports, researchers have found no signs of a link between cytomegalovirus and brain tumors including glioblastoma.
Molecular changes occur to cancer cells when they spread to the brain.
Radiomic-based superpc signature stratifies patients into low- or high-risk groups for PFS, OS.
Despite it being a standard of care, more or more pediatric patients are deferring PORT.
Intracranial disease control at 3 months was better with combination therapy; however it did not appear to impact overall survival.
GTR increases survival by about 61% at 1 year compared to STR.
Researchers achieved a 3-year event-free survival rate of 73.2% for tandem transplant patients.
The role of antiangiogenic agents continues to evolve in the treatment of CNS cancers.
Researchers were able to identify 8 genes that showed the highest association to outcomes.
Multiple modalities were found to be superior to single modality therapies in elderly patients with glioblastoma.
Interestingly, the risk of death and tumor progression was increased in low-grade gliomas.
Those who received both treatments lived longer than those who received radiation alone.
Focal cooling is a vast improvement over older brain-mapping techniques, which risked triggering epileptic seizures during surgery.
Over 10 000 brain and CNS tumors are diagnosed in adolescent and young adults each year.
Proton radiotherapy showed acceptable toxicity and similar survival compared to conventional radiotherapy.
The association may be mediated by mechanisms dependent on matrix metalloproteinases.
The device is designed to measure pressure and temperature during and after surgery, and then dissolve. Human trials are still at least 3 to 4 years away, however.
Two years post-enrollment, 43% of patients in the combination therapy group were alive.
The adaptive trial design will allow GBM patients to benefit from precision medicine.
Researchers found that brain tumor mutations could be detected from ctDNA in cerebrospinal fluid.
Resecting more than just the tuber may help prolong seizure freedom in patients with TSC.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd