Generic Name and Formulations:
Calcitonin-salmon (rDNA origin) 200 IU/spray; nasal spray.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Calcitonin-salmon:
Limitations Of use:
Not shown to increase BMD in early postmenopausal women.
1 spray (200Units) in alternating nostrils daily.
Correct hypocalcemia and other disorders (eg, Vit. D deficiency) prior to initiating; monitor serum calcium during therapy. Supplement diet with calcium (1g/day) and Vit. D (400 IU/day); reevaluate periodically. Seizures. Do periodic nasal exams; discontinue if severe nasal ulceration occurs. Increased risk of malignancies. Pregnancy (Cat.C), nursing mothers: not recommended.
May antagonize lithium; adjust dose.
Rhinitis, epistaxis, other nasal symptoms, back pain, arthralgia, headache; hypersensitivity reactions, antibody formation.
Formerly known under the brand name Fortical or Miacalcin.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL