CALCIUM DISODIUM VERSENATE Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Edetate calcium disodium (EDTA) 200mg/mL; IV, IM inj.
Bausch Health Companies Inc.
Indications for CALCIUM DISODIUM VERSENATE:
Lead poisoning. Lead encephalopathy.
Adults and Children:
See full labeling. Maintain hydration. IM for children and overt lead encephalopathy. Blood lead levels 20–70micrograms/dL: 1g/m2 per day. IV: infuse over 8–12 hours. IM: divided doses every 8–12 hours. Treat for 5 days then stop for 2–4 days; may repeat. If levels over 70micrograms/dL: give with BAL; see full labeling.
Anuria. Renal disease. Hepatitis.
Risk of potentially fatal toxic effects (see full labeling).
Increased intracranial pressure (IV). Monitor urinalysis, urinary sediment, electrolytes, renal and hepatic function. Discontinue at 1st sign of renal toxicity. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Steroids may increase renal toxicity. May chelate zinc in insulin preparations.
Acute necrosis of proximal tubules (may result in fatal nephrosis), fever, chills, malaise, hypotension, arrhythmias, zinc deficiency, hypercalcemia, glycosuria, proteinuria, hematuria, large epithelial cells in urinary sediment, GI upset, polydipsia, histamine-like reactions, transient bone marrow depression, anemia, local reactions.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- New 15-Item Dyspnea-ALS-Score Assesses Dyspnea in ALS
- CDC: About One in Five U.S. Adults Have Chronic Pain
- Fingolimod Cuts Multiple Sclerosis Relapses in Pediatric Patients
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Brivaracetam Effective for Reducing Seizures in Patients with Epileptic Encephalopathies