Generic Name and Formulations:
Levonorgestrel 0.15mg, ethinyl estradiol 30mcg (84 tabs); ethinyl estradiol 10mcg (7 tabs).
Indications for CAMRESE:
1 tab daily for 91 days; repeat. Use Sunday-start regimen. Take pills in order (84 levonorgestrel + ethinyl estradiol tabs, then 7 ethinyl estradiol tabs).
Premenarchal: not recommended.
High risk of arterial or venous thrombotic disease (eg, smokers or migraineurs over age 35, history of DVT or thromboembolism, cerebrovascular or coronary artery disease, thrombogenic valvular disease, atrial fibrillation, subacute bacterial endocarditis, hypercoagulopathies, uncontrolled hypertension, diabetes with vascular disease, headaches with focal neurologic symptoms). Breast or other estrogen or progestin-sensitive neoplasms. Hepatic disease or tumors. Undiagnosed abnormal uterine bleeding. Pregnancy.
Cigarette smoking increases risk of serious cardiovascular events.
Discontinue if thrombotic event, unexplained visual changes, or jaundice occurs, and at least 4 weeks before through 2 weeks after surgery associated with increased risk of thromboembolism. Gallbladder disease. Diabetes. Prediabetes. Uncontrolled dyslipidemias. Hypertriglyceridemia. Pregnancy-related cholestasis. Depression. Evaluate significant changes in headaches, irregular uterine bleeding, amenorrhea. Monitor blood pressure. Do regular complete physical exams. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Progestin + estrogen.
May be antagonized by CYP3A4 or other enzyme inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, St. John’s wort, topiramate); use backup contraception. May be affected by protease inhibitors, NNRTIs, atorvastatin, acetaminophen, ascorbic acid, itraconazole, ketoconazole. May antagonize lamotrigine. May affect laboratory tests (eg, coagulation factors, lipids, glucose tolerance, binding proteins). May need dose adjustment of thyroid hormones.
Headache, nausea, vomiting, bleeding irregularities, dysmenorrhea, weight change, mastodynia, acne, abdominal pain, anxiety, depression; angioedema, chloasma, others (see full labeling).
Tablet dispenser—2 x 91 tablets
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd