Generic Name and Formulations:
Captopril, hydrochlorothiazide; 25mg/15mg, 25mg/25mg, 50mg/15mg, 50mg/25mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Captopril/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Take 1 hr before meals. As initial therapy: one 25/15 tab daily; adjust at 6 wk intervals. Previously titrated: use same doses as individual components. Usual max 150mg captopril, 50mg hydrochlorothiazide daily.
See full labeling.
Anuria. Sulfonamide allergy. History of ACEI-associated angioedema.
Fetal toxicity may develop: discontinue if pregnancy is detected. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Salt/volume depletion. CHF. Dialysis (esp. high-flux membrane). Aortic stenosis. Diabetes. Gout. Asthma. Postsympathectomy. Surgery. Monitor electrolytes. Monitor WBCs and renal function in renal and collagen vascular disease. Discontinue if neutropenia, agranulocytosis, angioedema or laryngeal edema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D in 2nd and 3rd trimesters). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
ACE inhibitor + diuretic.
Potentiated by antihypertensives. Potentiates tubocurarine. May antagonize sulfonylureas, oral anticoagulants, uricosurics. May be antagonized by NSAIDs, sympathomimetics. May increase digitalis, lithium, insulin, diazoxide toxicity. Hyperkalemia with potassium-sparing diuretics and supplements. Hypokalemia with ACTH, corticosteroids. Orthostatic hypotension may be increased by alcohol, CNS depressants. May interfere with parathyroid, urinary acetone tests.
Neutropenia, agranulocytosis, proteinuria, nephrotic syndrome, orthostatic hypotension, fluid or electrolyte imbalance, rash, GI upset, dysgeusia, hyperglycemia, hyperuricemia, dizziness, headache, cough, pruritus, angioedema, tachycardia, chest pain, jaundice, blurred vision.
Formerly known under the brand name Capozide.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure