Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluorouracil 0.5% (0.35% in microspheres); crm.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, Inc
Indications for CARAC:
Multiple actinic or solar keratoses of the face and anterior scalp.
≥18yrs: Wash and dry area. Wait 10 minutes. Apply thin film to skin where lesions appear once daily for up to 4 weeks. Do not occlude. May apply sunscreen/ moisturizer 2 hours later. Wash hands after use.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Dihydropyrimidine dehydrogenase (DPD) deficiency. Women of childbearing potential. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Discontinue if symptoms of DPD deficiency develop (e.g., abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, vomiting, fever, chills). Ulcerated or inflamed skin. Avoid eyes, mucous membranes, exposure to sun or UV light. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Application site reaction (may persist 2 weeks after drug is stopped), eye irritation.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Clarifying Cardiovascular Risk in Migraine
- More Evidence Supports Benefits of Cannabidiol for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- Parkinson Disease Symptom Fluctuations Well-Managed With Adaptive Deep Brain Stimulation
- Monthly Erenumab Reduces Frequency of Episodic Migraine
- Female Gender, Natalizumab Exposure Associated With Increased Lymphopenia Risk in FNG-Treated MS
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH
- FDA Approves Blood Test to Assess Concussion
- Gait Difficulty in Parkinson Disease May Be Associated With More Progressive Disease Course
- Tau PET a Useful Biomarker for Alzheimer Disease Risk and Progression
- Multiple Sclerosis Drug Zinbryta Withdrawn From the Market
- Undifferentiated Headaches Common in Children, Adolescents
- Smoking Associated With Increased Relapse Rate in Interferon Beta-Treated Relapsing-Remitting MS
- Frontotemporal Dementia, Frontotemporal Lobar Degeneration Symptoms More Common Later in Life
- No Reduction in Cerebral Perfusion With Intensive Blood Pressure Lowering
- Successful Delirium Prevention in Critically Ill With Dexmedetomidine