Cefaclor Extended-Release Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefaclor 375mg, 500mg; ext-rel tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefaclor Extended-Release Tablets:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, secondary infections of acute bronchitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, uncomplicated skin and skin structures.
Take with meals. Swallow whole. Cefaclor ext-rel tab 500mg twice daily clinically equivalent to caps 250mg three times daily. ≥16yrs: Bronchitis: 500mg every 12 hrs for 7 days. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 375mg every 12 hrs for 10 days. Skin and skin structures: 375mg every 12 hrs for 7–10 days.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Penicillin or other allergy. Discontinue if colitis occurs and treat. Severe renal dysfunction. GI disease (esp. colitis). Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
May cause false (+) Coomb's test or glucose test with Clinitest or Benedict's or Fehling's soln. Potentiated by probenecid. Monitor warfarin. ER: antagonized by concomitant (within 1 hr) aluminum or magnesium-containing antacids.
Headache, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, hepatic dysfunction, cough, CNS stimulation, serum-sickness-like reactions.
Formerly known under the brand names Ceclor CD (ext-rel tabs); Ceclor (caps, susp); Raniclor (caps).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure