Cefpodoxime Proxetil Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefpodoxime proxetil 100mg, 200mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefpodoxime Proxetil Tablets:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including acute otitis media, acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, pharyngitis/tonsillitis, acute community-acquired pneumonia, urinary tract, skin and skin structures; cervical, anorectal (females only) and urethral gonorrhea.
Take tabs with food. ≥13yrs: Pneumonia: 200mg every 12hrs for 14 days. Bronchitis, sinusitis: 200mg every 12hrs for 10 days. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 100mg every 12hrs for 5–10 days. Skin and skin structures: 400mg every 12hrs for 7–14 days. UTI: 100mg every 12hrs for 7 days. Uncomplicated gonorrhea: 200mg once as a single dose. Renal failure or hemodialysis: see full labeling.
Use susp. <2 months: not recommended. 2 months–12yrs: Acute otitis media: 5mg/kg (max 200mg) every 12hrs for 5 days. Pharyngitis/tonsillitis: 5mg/kg (max 100mg) every 12hrs for 5–10 days. Sinusitis: 5mg/kg (max 200mg) every 12hrs for 10 days.
Penicillin or other allergy. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antacids, H2 antagonists, oral anticholinergics may decrease efficacy. Potentiated by probenecid. Avoid concomitant diuretics, other nephrotoxic drugs. May cause false (+) direct Coomb's test.
GI upset, abdominal pain, headache, rash, anaphylaxis.
Formerly known under the brand name Vantin.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA Fast-Tracks Treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics