Generic Name and Formulations:
Cefuroxime (as axetil) 250mg, 500mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cefuroxime:
Susceptible mild to moderate infections including pharyngitis/tonsillitis, acute maxillary sinusitis, chronic bronchitis, acute otitis media, uncomplicated skin and skin structure, UTIs, gonorrhea, early Lyme disease.
Swallow whole. ≥13yrs: Pharyngitis/tonsillitis, sinusitis: 250mg twice daily for 10 days. Acute bacterial exacerbations of chronic bronchitis, skin and skin structure infections: 250–500mg twice daily for 10 days. UTIs: 250mg twice daily for 7–10 days. Gonorrhea: 1g as a single dose. Lyme disease: 500mg twice daily for 20 days. Renal impairment: see full labeling.
Swallow whole. <13yrs: Otitis media, sinusitis: 250mg twice daily for 10 days.
Renal impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Potentiated by probenecid; not recommended. May antagonize oral contraceptives; consider non-hormonal methods. Avoid H2-blockers, PPIs. Separate cefuroxime by ≥1hr before or 2hrs after antacids. May interfere with glucose tests.
Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction, vaginitis; anaphylactic reactions (discontinue if occur), C.difficile-associated diarrhea.
Formerly known under the brand name Ceftin.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd