There is a growing emphasis on provider responsibility with the increasing focus of the overprescribing of opioids.
For adolescents with chronic pain, a combination of different therapies such as CBT and breathing exercises may be beneficial.
A probable diagnosis of fibromyalgia can be indicated with 2 simple tests in chronic pain patients.
The Intellis platform has been announced as a way to manage certain types of chronic pain.
Posttraumatic stress disorder is associated with a high incidence of chronic pain; what role headache plays in that relationship is not well known.
The VA and DoD issue a clinical practice guideline regarding opioid therapy for chronic pain in veterans.
Patients with successful spinal cord stimulation implants had significantly reduced opioid use 1 year post-implant.
After treatment, there were marked decreases in visual analog scale (VAS)-pain, VAS-asthenia, severity of waking unrefreshed, tender point count, and Beck Depression Inventory.
Kratom may be used to develop nonaddictive alternatives to opioids.
Alternative treatments include endomorphins, spinal cord stimulation, and psychotherapy.
Novice prescribers cited insufficient access to substance abuse counseling for patients, as well as insufficient access to more experienced prescribers, as reasons for not treating more patients.
Pain treatments often target either the brain or body, but data show that treatments often benefit both.
A patient with a baseline pain score of 60 on a scale of 0 to 100 would be expected to have a pain score of 45 after a non-acupuncture intervention; 35 after a sham acupuncture intervention; and 30 after true acupuncture.
Opioid usage may exacerbate the problem.
Sleep disruption alters positive affective pain modulation.
The study included 1,750 participants and had a 3-year follow up period.
Twenty-five percent of doctors write month-long opioid prescriptions.
The new guideline is the latest in an overhaul designed to curb opioid abuse.
Disordered sleep has been implicated in the impairment of descending inhibitory pain pathways that may contribute to abnormal pain sensitization present in fibromyalgia.
Some concerns include a lack of evidence underlying recommendations.
While mindfulness meditation has previously been associated with pain relief, the mechanistic action behind this has been unclear.
The new guidelines come in the wake of an opioid overdose epidemic in the U.S.
At 4 and 8 weeks after injection, 55% and 45%, respectively, reported pain relief of 20% or greater.
There were 18 893 deaths involving prescription opioids in the US in 2014.
While opioids can help patients have more comfort, they do nothing for the improvement of their chronic pain.
Long duration of opioid use associated with new onset depression.
More than 90% of patients with chronic pain continue to receive prescription opioids even after an overdose.
Investigators found that the intensity of neuropathic pain in those with SCI was negatively correlated with motor cortical remapping.
Comorbid disease types appear to elevate dysfunction in the brain.
Researchers have developed small, fully implantable devices that may one day be used to block pain signals before they reach the brain.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Clarifying Cardiovascular Risk in Migraine
- Parkinson Disease Symptom Fluctuations Well-Managed With Adaptive Deep Brain Stimulation
- More Evidence Supports Benefits of Cannabidiol for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- Monthly Erenumab Reduces Frequency of Episodic Migraine
- Reduced Risk for Multiple Sclerosis Linked to Greater Sun Exposure
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH
- FDA Approves Blood Test to Assess Concussion
- Gait Difficulty in Parkinson Disease May Be Associated With More Progressive Disease Course
- Tau PET a Useful Biomarker for Alzheimer Disease Risk and Progression
- Multiple Sclerosis Drug Zinbryta Withdrawn From the Market
- Incidence of Delayed Traumatic Intracranial Hemorrhage Low in Older Adults With Blunt Head Trauma
- Older Epilepsy Patients More Likely to Experience AED, Non-AED Drug Interaction
- Female Gender, Natalizumab Exposure Associated With Increased Lymphopenia Risk in FNG-Treated MS
- Accelerated Cognitive Decline Associated With Retinopathy
- Treatment Effects Often Exaggerated in Early Clinical Studies