Nonlanguage Mathematical, Visuospatial Learning Disabilities Likely in Focal Neurodegenerative SyndromesMay 10, 2018
Individual patients with PCA and LDs demonstrated more right-lateralized patterns of atrophy and greater preservation of global cognition compared with patients with PCA without LDs.
Handgrip strength was significantly associated with improved visual memory reaction time, prospective memory, and reasoning in patients with bipolar disorder.
Lundbeck announced that the FDA has approved a sNDA for Trintellix to include data regarding improved processing speed.
Medicare Annual Wellness Visits do not appear to substantially increase the detection of cognitive impairment in older adults.
For adolescents and young adults, frequent or heavy cannabis use has a small association with reduced cognitive functioning.
Using hearing aids may slow cognitive decline in later life.
The MIND diet, a combination of the Mediterranean and DASH diets, was associated with a slower rate of cognitive decline among stroke survivors.
For older patients, toenail length can provide important insight into a patient's functional status.
The ultimate goal of stroke assessment is to enable physicians to make treatment decisions that are individualized and appropriate to the patient's needs, thereby improving patient outcomes.
Retinopathy as well as an overall loss of vascular integrity was significantly associated with a greater 20-year cognitive decline after controlling for attrition.
3 years after menopausal HT, change in brain volumes were not significantly different from placebo.
For older adults with high cholesterol, the risk for cognitive decline is reduced.
For community-dwelling older men, low serum sodium is associated with cognitive impairment and cognitive decline.
Solanezumab does not alter cognitive decline in patients with mild Alzheimer disease.
In older at-risk individuals, even APOE ε4 carriers, a multidomain lifestyle intervention seems to be beneficial.
Cognitive therapies may help reduce falls in order adults.
For patients with mild-to-moderate Alzheimer disease, the use of idalopirdine does not improve cognition.
Guidelines: AAN Recommends Exercise, Cautious Prescribing for Patients With Mild Cognitive ImpairmentJanuary 15, 2018
A lower education level was associated with higher MCI prevalence in 8 of the class I studies.
Greater yearly declines in systolic and diastolic blood pressure were noted in individuals with subcortical microinfarcts.
Clinicians might benefit from standard guidelines on how to assess and refer patients with hearing loss.
Intake of nutrients in green leafy vegetables is linked to a slower cognitive decline.
Charts may help identify individuals who may benefit most from early interventions to help preserve cognition.
In Parkinson's patients who are cognitively normal or have mild cognitive impairment, patterns of cortical β-amyloid and tau are not different.
Throughout the life course, higher body mass index and obesity are linked to cognitive decline, brain atrophy, reduced white matter and integrity of the blood-brain barrier, and elevated risk for late-onset Alzheimer disease.
The ACB scale shows good dose-response relationships between anticholinergic burden and adverse outcomes for older adults.
An approximately 1-SD increase in SBP correlated with lower scores for 2 tests that assessed for brain damage, dementia, and task switching.
Although evidence of cognitive impairment in MSA is admittedly more limited than in Parkinson disease, it is now substantial enough to address modification of diagnostic criteria to include the potential for cognitive impairment at any stage of the disease.
Multiple biological factors may play a role when cognitive decline is observed in older health adults.
Cognitive dysfunction may be a sign of prodromal Parkinson disease.
Mechanisms including silent cerebral infarct, microemboli, microbleedings, and cerebral hypoperfusion may be responsible for the link between atrial fibrillation and cognitive decline.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- FDA Approves First Multiple Sclerosis Treatment for Pediatric Patients
- Concussion Misdiagnosis Associated With Emergency Department Stay, Injury Type
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- Micronutrient Levels May Be Altered in ADHD
- Multiple Sclerosis Guidelines: AAN's Recommendations for Initiating, Switching, Stopping Disease-Modifying Therapy
- Solriamfetol Associated With Improvement in Narcolepsy Types 1 and 2
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Evolution of NEDA: Q&A With Cleveland Clinic's Dr Robert Bermel
- Inactivity, Obesity Exert No Significant Influence on Parkinson Disease Risk
- White House Unveils Plan to Lower Cost of Prescription Drugs
- Tenecteplase Improves Reperfusion and Functional Outcome in Ischemic Stroke
- Briviact Approved for Pediatric Patients With Partial-Onset Seizures