Cyanocobalamin injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Cyanocobalamin 1000mcg/mL; soln for IM or SC inj; contains benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Cyanocobalamin injection:
Vit. B12 deficiencies due to malabsorption. Pernicious anemia. Vit. B12 absorption test (Schilling test).
Give by IM or deep SC inj. Pernicious anemia: 100mcg daily for 6–7 days; then 100mcg every other day for 7 doses; then every 3–4 days for 2–3 weeks; then 100mcg monthly for life. Deficiencies due to malabsorption: if severe, may need to treat like pernicious anemia; use oral preparations for chronic treatment. Schilling test: 1000mcg.
Sensitivity to cobalt.
Hereditary optic nerve atrophy (Leber's disease). Severe megaloblastic anemia (intense treatment may lead to hypokalemia and death). Monitor potassium for first 48 hours; replace if needed. Obtain hematocrit, reticulocyte count, Vit. B12, folate, and iron levels before and during treatment. Reevaluate periodically. Premature infants. Renal impairment (possible aluminum toxicity). Folic acid use may mask B12 deficiency. Pregnancy (Cat. C).
Antibiotics, methotrexate, pyrimethamine interfere with Vit. B12 diagnostic tests. Colchicine, para-aminosalicylic acid, heavy alcohol intake for >2 weeks may produce malabsorption of Vit. B12.
Pulmonary edema, CHF, vascular thrombosis, polycythemia vera, transient diarrhea, itching, transitory exanthema; anaphylactic shock (may be fatal; do test dose if hypersensitivity suspected).
Formerly known under the brand names Berubigen, Cobavite, Rubivite, Rubramin PC, Vi-twel.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Traumatic Brain Injury Linked to Increased Parkinson Disease Risk in Veterans
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics