Generic Name and Formulations:
Bromocriptine mesylate (micronized) 0.8mg; tabs.
Indications for CYCLOSET:
Adjunct to diet and exercise, to improve glycemic control in type 2 diabetes.
Limitations Of use:
Not for treating type 1 diabetes or ketoacidosis. Limited efficacy data in combination with thiazolidinediones. Efficacy has not been confirmed in combination with insulin.
Take with food in the AM, within 2hrs of waking. Initially 0.8mg once daily; may increase by 0.8mg per week as tolerated until max 4.8mg/day. Usual range: 1.6–4.8mg/day. Concomitant moderate CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, erythromycin): max 1.6mg once daily. Concomitant strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, azole antimycotics, protease inhibitors): avoid.
Syncopal migraines. Nursing mothers. Allergy to ergot-related drugs.
Monitor orthostatic vital signs initially and periodically during therapy. Severe psychotic disorders: not recommended. Renal or hepatic impairment. Pregnancy (Cat.B).
Dopamine agonist (ergot deriv).
See Adult. Concomitant selective 5-HT1B agonists (eg, sumatriptan), sympathomimetic drugs >10 days, ergot-related drugs within 6hrs, other dopamine agonists and antagonists, including neuroleptics (eg, clozapine, olanzapine, ziprasidone) and metoclopramide: not recommended. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors and antagonized by CYP3A4 inducers (eg, rifampin, dexamethasone). Potentiates antihypertensives; caution. May potentiate highly protein bound drugs (eg, salicylates, sulfonamides, chloramphenicol, probenecid).
Nausea, vomiting, fatigue, dizziness, headache; hypotension, syncope, somnolence, hypoglycemia.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd