Generic Name and Formulations:
Liothyronine sodium 5mcg, 25mcg, 50mcg; tabs.
Indications for CYTOMEL:
Hypothyroidism: initially 25mcg daily; may increase by up to 25mcg every 1–2 weeks; usual maintenance 25–75mcg daily. Myxedema, simple goiter: initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5–10mcg daily every 1–2 weeks to 25mcg daily, then may increase by 5–25mcg every 1–2 weeks (myxedema) or by 12.5 or 25mcg daily every 1–2 weeks (simple goiter). Maintenance: myxedema: 50–100mcg/day; simple goiter: 75mcg/day.
Initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5mcg daily every 3–4 days. Cretinism: maintenance dose: <1yr: 20mcg/day. 1–3 yrs: 50mcg/day. >3yrs: as adult.
Initially 5mcg daily; may increase by 5mcg every 1–2 weeks.
Uncorrected adrenocortical insufficiency. Untreated thyrotoxicosis.
Larger doses particularly when given concomitantly with sympathomimetic amines for anorectic effects may produce serious or life-threatening toxicity.
Not for treatment of obesity or infertility (unless with hypothyroidism). Cardiovascular disease, angina, elderly: use lower initial dose. Adrenocortical insufficiency. Diabetes. Monitor for craniosynostosis in infants. Pregnancy (Cat.A). Nursing mothers.
Monitor oral anticoagulants, hypoglycemics, digoxin. Estrogens affect thyroid function tests. Monitor for hypertension with ketamine. Toxicity with larger doses of sympathomimetics (eg, anorectics).
Hyperthyroidism, transient hair loss in children.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Case Study Report: Herbal Supplement Kratom Associated With Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome
- Seizure Monitoring Smartwatch Cleared for Use in Children
- Ocrelizumab Reduces Upper Extremity Disability Progression Risk in PPMS
- Steps to Facilitate Rapid Reperfusion to Improve Poststroke Outcomes
- Cerebellar Stimulation May Help Improve Gait and Balance Recovery in Stroke
- Very Early Mobilization After Stroke Does Not Improve Survival Over Usual Care
- Alemtuzumab Linked to Clinical and MRI Disease Remission in Multiple Sclerosis
- Cognitive Decline Worsens With Memantine, ChEIs in Patients With Alzheimer's
- Cervical Dysfunction Needs Clarification to Identify Link With Headache
- Levodopa Inhalation Powder Approved for Parkinson Disease
- Risk for Conversion of MS Varies With Different Therapies
- Breakdown of Blood-Brain Barrier May Drive Dementia
- FDA: Food Inspections to Resume Despite Ongoing Funding Lapse
- First Generic Version of Sabril Tablets Gets FDA Approval
- Supine Positioning After Greater Occipital Nerve Block May Improve Outcomes