Demeclocycline HCl Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Demeclocycline HCl 150mg, 300mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Demeclocycline HCl:
Tetracycline-sensitive infections, including respiratory, genitourinary, skin and skin structure, soft tissues, and those caused by rickettsiae and Mycoplasma pneumoniae; also cholera, psittacosis, plague, shigellosis.
Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. 150mg 4 times daily or 300mg twice daily. Gonorrhea patients sensitive to penicillin: initially 600mg followed by 300mg every 12hrs for 4 days to a total of 3g.
<8yrs: not recommended. Take with fluids, 1hr before or 2hrs after meals. ≥8yrs: 7–13mg/kg/day divided into 2–4 doses; max 600mg/day.
Renal or hepatic impairment. Monitor blood, renal and hepatic function in long-term use. Avoid sun and UV light. Discontinue if skin erythema occurs. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid methoxyflurane, photosensitizing agents. May antagonize bactericidal antibiotics; avoid. Reduced absorption with antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium, dairy products, urinary alkalinizers, other multivalent cations. May reduce effectiveness of oral contraceptives. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, rash, blood dyscrasias, increased BUN, hepatotoxicity, C. difficile associated diarrhea, pseudotumor cerebri; rare: esophagitis and esophageal ulceration.
Formerly known under the brand name Declomycin.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd