For persons with dementia, the DRESS prototype, can provide automated dressing support by identifying incorrect dressing scenarios.
Clinically significant anxiety in midlife is associated with increased subsequent dementia risk over an interval of at least 10 years.
The combination of a rural upbringing and higher education levels may be protective against dementia and Alzheimer disease for African-Americans.
For nursing home residents with dementia and hip fracture, surgical hip fracture repair is associated with lower mortality.
Controlling high blood pressure in older African-Americans may prevent future dementia.
Researchers conducted a multicenter study to assess the predictive value of the Montreal Parkinson Risk of Dementia Scale, an 8-item, office-based screening tool.
Meta-analyses were conducted to assess the relationship between blood pressure and dementia in an aging population.
Investigators evaluated the association between initiation of the partnership and prescribing practices for antipsychotic and non-antipsychotic psychotropic medications.
Women may have a reduced risk of subsequent dementia with higher cardiovascular fitness at midlife.
Among 5.2% of cases of early-onset dementia, most were either alcohol-related by definition or had an additional diagnosis of alcohol use disorders.
Spouses affected by dementia may benefit from an at-home dyadic, relationship-focused psychoeducational intervention.
Because of the study's nonrandomized and observational design, the investigators were unable to determine any causal relationships between tamsulosin and dementia risk.
An increased risk of dementia is assocaited with congenital heart disease.
A study was conducted to assess potential beneficial effects of a lifestyle intervention program on cognition in carriers of the APOE ε4 allele.
For older adults who are hospitalized after car crashes, vision testing and renewal requirements show to be related to reduced prevalence of dementia.
Traumatic brain injury is associated with an inreased risk of dementia.
Zonisamide as an adjunct to levodopa therapy improves parkinsonism in patients with dementia with Lewy bodies.
Because of dementia's prolonged disease course, advance care decisions and planning are often overlooked until it is too late.
Guidelines: AAN Recommends Exercise, Cautious Prescribing for Patients With Mild Cognitive ImpairmentJanuary 15, 2018
A lower education level was associated with higher MCI prevalence in 8 of the class I studies.
Clinicians might benefit from standard guidelines on how to assess and refer patients with hearing loss.
There is an increased risk of dementia for patients with rheumatic diseases.
Deep brain stimulation does not show significant improvements in cognitive outcomes for patients with Parkinson disease dementia.
An increased risk for all-cause dementia is associated with low and high serum magnesium levels.
A population-based cohort study evaluated whether proton pump inhibitor use was associated with an increased risk for dementia.
This analysis was comprised of well-educated and mostly white patients, so these findings may be difficult to generalize to all populations.
Previous research has shown an association between some oral diabetes medications and lower incidence of dementia.
There was no correlation for early-adulthood hypertension with dementia, although among women these effect estimates were elevated.
The researchers observed a significant difference in lithium exposure for patients with a diagnosis of dementia vs controls.
Seniors may be more likely to develop dementia as they age if they spend less time in REM sleep.
There is a higher risk of all-cause dementia, vascular dementia, and Alzheimer's disease in the elderly with increased BP variability.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- FDA Approves First Multiple Sclerosis Treatment for Pediatric Patients
- Concussion Misdiagnosis Associated With Emergency Department Stay, Injury Type
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- Micronutrient Levels May Be Altered in ADHD
- Multiple Sclerosis Guidelines: AAN's Recommendations for Initiating, Switching, Stopping Disease-Modifying Therapy
- Solriamfetol Associated With Improvement in Narcolepsy Types 1 and 2
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Evolution of NEDA: Q&A With Cleveland Clinic's Dr Robert Bermel
- Inactivity, Obesity Exert No Significant Influence on Parkinson Disease Risk
- White House Unveils Plan to Lower Cost of Prescription Drugs
- Tenecteplase Improves Reperfusion and Functional Outcome in Ischemic Stroke
- Briviact Approved for Pediatric Patients With Partial-Onset Seizures