In patients with and without dementia, amyloid-positive and negative results were significantly linked to diagnoses and treatment changes.
Decision tree and random forest classification models were used to find associations between patient demographic and lifestyle risk factors with dementia status during more than 30 years of follow-up.
Active participation in intellectual activities among adults aged 65 years or older is associated with reduced risk of dementia.
There was a shorter mean time from the index date to the dementia diagnosis among those with traumatic brain injury vs those without traumatic brain injury.
Researchers examined the correlation of education, wealth, and area-based deprivation with the incidence of dementia using data from the English Longitudinal Study of Ageing.
Good relationships, social engagement, and high-quality care are linked to better QoL for patients with dementia.
For persons with dementia, the DRESS prototype, can provide automated dressing support by identifying incorrect dressing scenarios.
Clinically significant anxiety in midlife is associated with increased subsequent dementia risk over an interval of at least 10 years.
The combination of a rural upbringing and higher education levels may be protective against dementia and Alzheimer disease for African-Americans.
For nursing home residents with dementia and hip fracture, surgical hip fracture repair is associated with lower mortality.
Controlling high blood pressure in older African-Americans may prevent future dementia.
Researchers conducted a multicenter study to assess the predictive value of the Montreal Parkinson Risk of Dementia Scale, an 8-item, office-based screening tool.
Meta-analyses were conducted to assess the relationship between blood pressure and dementia in an aging population.
Investigators evaluated the association between initiation of the partnership and prescribing practices for antipsychotic and non-antipsychotic psychotropic medications.
Women may have a reduced risk of subsequent dementia with higher cardiovascular fitness at midlife.
Among 5.2% of cases of early-onset dementia, most were either alcohol-related by definition or had an additional diagnosis of alcohol use disorders.
Spouses affected by dementia may benefit from an at-home dyadic, relationship-focused psychoeducational intervention.
Because of the study's nonrandomized and observational design, the investigators were unable to determine any causal relationships between tamsulosin and dementia risk.
An increased risk of dementia is assocaited with congenital heart disease.
A study was conducted to assess potential beneficial effects of a lifestyle intervention program on cognition in carriers of the APOE ε4 allele.
For older adults who are hospitalized after car crashes, vision testing and renewal requirements show to be related to reduced prevalence of dementia.
Traumatic brain injury is associated with an inreased risk of dementia.
Zonisamide as an adjunct to levodopa therapy improves parkinsonism in patients with dementia with Lewy bodies.
Because of dementia's prolonged disease course, advance care decisions and planning are often overlooked until it is too late.
Guidelines: AAN Recommends Exercise, Cautious Prescribing for Patients With Mild Cognitive ImpairmentJanuary 15, 2018
A lower education level was associated with higher MCI prevalence in 8 of the class I studies.
Clinicians might benefit from standard guidelines on how to assess and refer patients with hearing loss.
There is an increased risk of dementia for patients with rheumatic diseases.
Deep brain stimulation does not show significant improvements in cognitive outcomes for patients with Parkinson disease dementia.
An increased risk for all-cause dementia is associated with low and high serum magnesium levels.
A population-based cohort study evaluated whether proton pump inhibitor use was associated with an increased risk for dementia.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Dietary Supplements in MS: Exercising Caution With OTC Remedies
- Cladribine May Be Beneficial for Managing Progressive Multiple Sclerosis
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- Transcranial Doppler Ultrasound Timing Critical for Beneficial Outcomes Following Stroke Thrombolysis
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Tetrabenazine Not Associated With Increased Depression or Suicide
- The Role of Neurogenic Inflammation in Fibromyalgia Pathophysiology
- IT Solutions for Easier EHRs Save Physicians Time, Burnout
- FDA Drops Zika Testing for Blood Donors