Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV inj.
American Regent, Inc.
Indications for DEXFERRUM:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
<4months: not recommended. Give by IV inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. ≥4months: Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemia not associated with iron deficiency.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Cardiovascular disease. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Iron overload more likely with hemoglobinopathies or refractory anemias. Rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin and decrease serum calcium.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal, even in patients who tolerated test dose), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others.
Single-dose vials (1mL, 2mL)—10
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA Fast-Tracks Treatment for Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics