Doxycycline Monohydrate Tablets Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Doxycycline monohydrate 50mg, 100mg; tabs.
Indications for Doxycycline Monohydrate Tablets:
Tetracycline-susceptible infections including respiratory, genitourinary, rickettsial, trachoma. Postexposure prophylaxis and treatment of anthrax.
Usual dose: 200mg on first day (give as 100mg every 12hrs or 50mg every 6hrs) followed by maintenance dose of 100mg/day (may be given as a single dose or as 50mg every 12hrs). Management of severe infections (including chronic UTI): 100mg every 12hrs. Uncomplicated gonoccal infections (except anorectal infections in men): 100mg twice daily for 7 days or 300mg stat followed in one hour by a second 300mg dose. Acute epididymo-orchitis caused by N. gonorrhoeae, C. trachomatis: 100mg twice daily for at least 10 days. Primary and secondary syphilis: 300mg in divided doses for at least 10 days. Uncomplicated urethral, endocervical, or rectal infection caused by C. trachomatis, nongonococcal urethritis caused by C. trachomatis and U. urealyticum: 100mg twice daily for at least 7 days. Inhalational anthrax (post-exposure): 100mg twice daily for 60 days.
<8yrs: not recommended. >8yrs: ≤100lbs: 2mg/lb divided into two doses on the first day, followed by 1mg/lb as a single daily dose or divided into two doses, on subsequent days. Severe infections: up to 2mg/lb may be used. >100lbs: use adult dose. Inhalational anthrax (post-exposure): ≤100lbs: 1mg/lb twice daily for 60 days. >100lbs: use adult dose.
Monitor blood, renal, and liver function in long-term use. Avoid excessive sunlight or UV light. Pregnancy (Cat.D), nursing mothers: not recommended.
Antacids, iron, zinc, calcium, magnesium reduce absorption. Avoid concomitant penicillin, methoxyflurane. Carbamazepine, phenytoin, barbiturates may decrease effectiveness. Monitor prothrombin time with oral anticoagulants. May decrease effectiveness of oral contraceptives.
Photosensitivity, GI upset, esophageal irritation/ulceration (drink fluids liberally with dose), rash, increased BUN, hypersensitivity reactions, blood dyscrasias; pseudomembranous colitis.
Tabs 50mg—100; 100mg—50, 250
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Higher Levels of Cholesterol May Protect Men From Parkinson Disease
- Ajovy Injection Approved for Migraine Prevention in Adults
- Chronic Pain May Be Contributor to Suicide
- FDA Approves Tiglutik for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- New 15-Item Dyspnea-ALS-Score Assesses Dyspnea in ALS
- CDC: About One in Five U.S. Adults Have Chronic Pain
- Fingolimod Cuts Multiple Sclerosis Relapses in Pediatric Patients
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Brivaracetam Effective for Reducing Seizures in Patients with Epileptic Encephalopathies