Generic Name and Formulations:
Ulipristal acetate 30mg; tab.
Indications for ELLA:
Prevention of pregnancy following unprotected intercourse or known or suspected contraceptive failure. Not for use as regular contraceptive.
Take 1 tab as soon as possible within 120hrs (5 days) after unprotected intercourse or contraceptive failure. May repeat dose if vomiting occurs within 3hrs.
Premenarchal: not applicable.
Not for termination of an existing pregnancy. Exclude pregnancy before prescribing. Rule out ectopic pregnancy if lower abdominal pain occurs. Rule out pregnancy if subsequent menses delayed by >1 week. Does not protect against HIV or other STDs. Repeat use within same menstrual cycle: not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Avoid concomitant CYP3A4 inducers (eg, barbiturates, bosentan, carbamazepine, felbamate, griseofulvin, oxcarbazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, topiramate, St. John's wort). Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole). May antagonize regular hormonal contraceptives; use barrier contraception for remainder of menstrual cycle and resume oral contraceptives ≥5 days after dose.
Headache, abdominal pain, nausea, dysmenorrhea, fatigue, dizziness; menstrual cycle changes.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd