Generic Name and Formulations:
Pentosan polysulfate sodium 100mg; caps.
Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for ELMIRON:
Bladder pain/discomfort due to interstitial cystitis.
Take with water 1 hr before or 2 hrs after meals. ≥16yrs: 100mg 3 times daily. Reevaluate at 3 and 6 months.
<16yrs: not recommended.
Bleeding or risk of bleeding (eg, surgery, aneurysm, GI ulcer, polyps). History of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Hepatic insufficiency. Splenic disorders. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Caution with drugs that increase bleeding risk (eg, anticoagulants, tPA, aspirin, NSAIDs).
Alopecia, GI upset, headache, rash, abdominal pain, hepatic dysfunction, dizziness, increased prothrombin time, hemorrhage.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Pediatric Migraine: Evidence-Based Alternative Management
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches