Generic Name and Formulations:
Estramustine phosphate sodium (prodrug of estradiol) 140mg; caps.
Indications for EMCYT:
Palliative of metastatic, progressive prostate cancer.
Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after meals. 14mg/kg in 3 or 4 divided doses; reevaluate after 30 to 90 days. Continue as long as favorable response maintained.
Active thrombophlebitis or thromboembolic disorders (except when tumor mass caused by thromboembolic phenomenon). Allergy to estradiol, nitrogen mustard.
History of thrombophlebitis, thrombosis, thromboembolic disorders. Cerebro- or cardiovascular disease. Diabetes. Hypertension. Conditions aggravated by fluid retention. Renal or hepatic dysfunction. Monitor bilirubin and hepatic enzymes during and for 2 months after treatment is discontinued. Metabolic bone diseases associated with hypercalcemia. Use effective contraception.
Absorption impaired by calcium.
Edema, dyspnea, leg cramps; nausea, diarrhea, GI upset; pruritus, dry skin, easy bruising; breast tenderness and enlargement; lethargy, emotional lability, insomnia; leucopenia; abnormal bilirubin, LDH, SGOT. Thrombosis, MI.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Anodal tDCS Offers Possible Benefit for Improving Item Recall in Post-Stroke Aphasia
- Hospitalization Tied to Brain Abnormalities in Older Adults
- Spending Often Persists in High-Cost Medicare-Medicaid Eligible
- Skills-Based Intervention Did Not Cut Systolic BP After Stroke, TIA
- High Frequency of Headaches Following Dialysis Associated With BUN and Blood Pressure