Ergotamine tartrate + Caffeine Suppositories Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Ergotamine tartrate 2mg, caffeine 100mg; rectal supp.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Ergotamine tartrate + Caffeine Suppositories:
Migraine, migraine variants, cluster headaches.
1 supp rectally at onset of attack, then 1 supp after 1 hour if needed; max 2 supps/attack, 5 supps/week.
Peripheral vascular disease. Coronary heart disease. Hypertension. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. Sepsis. Concomitant potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ritonavir, nelfinavir, indinavir, erythromycin, clarithromycin, troleandomycin, ketoconazole, itraconazole) or other vasoconstrictors. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.X).
Monitor for ergotism; do not exceed recommended dose. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
See Contraindications. Potentiated by CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, protease inhibitors, macrolides, azole antifungals, saquinavir, nefazodone, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, grapefruit juice, zileuton), propranolol, nicotine. Severe hypertension with sympathomimetics.
Vasoconstrictive complications or ergotism (eg, ischemia, cold extremities, vasospasm, ECG changes, hyper- or hypotension, numbness, gangrene, dizziness), precordial or muscle pain, tachycardia, bradycardia, nausea, vomiting, local edema, itching; rarely: retroperitoneal and pleuropulmonary fibrosis, cardiac valve fibrosis (chronic use).
Formerly known under the brand names Cafergot, Migergot.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- OnabotulinumtoxinA for Post-Stroke Spasticity: Treatment Strategies and Limitations
- Tau Associated With Loss of Anterior Temporal White Matter Integrity
- Location Probability Learning Unimpaired in Parkinson Disease
- Prenatal Tdap Vaccination Not Linked to Autism Risk
- AMA Adopts Policy to Advance Gender Equity in Medicine