Generic Name and Formulations:
Melphalan HCl 50mg/vial; lyophilized pwd; for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Spectrum Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for EVOMELA:
High-dose conditioning treatment prior to hematopoietic progenitor (stem) cell transplantation in patients with multiple myeloma. Palliative treatment of multiple myeloma when oral therapy is not appropriate.
Give prophylactic antiemetics. Conditioning treatment: Give by IV infusion over 30 minutes. 100mg/m2 daily for 2 consecutive days (Days -3 and -2) prior to transplantation (Day 0). If patient weighs >130% of their ideal body weight, use adjusted ideal body weight. Palliative treatment: Give by IV infusion over 15–20 minutes. 16mg/m2 as a single infusion at 2-week intervals for 4 doses, then at 4-week intervals after recovery from toxicity. Renal impairment (BUN ≥30mg/dL): consider up to 50% dose reduction for palliative treatment.
Prior irradiation or chemotherapy. Severe bone marrow suppression. Monitor CBCs during treatment; provide supportive care for infections, anemia, thrombocytopenia until adequate recovery. GI toxicity; provide supportive care. Monitor LFTs. Renal impairment. Embryo-fetal toxicity; use effective contraception during and after treatment. Pregnancy, nursing mothers: not recommended.
Caution with cyclosporine, BCNU, nalidixic acid.
Decreased neutrophil, WBC, lymphocyte, and platelet counts, diarrhea, nausea, fatigue, hypokalemia, anemia, vomiting; hypersensitivity reactions, hepatic disorders, secondary malignancies, infertility.
Single-dose vial (20mL)—1
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL