Exercise & Fitness
Significant benefits were seen with aerobic exercise, resistance training, multicomponent training, and tai chi.
Patients who exercised prior to their stroke were more likely to be able to perform basic and complex tasks after the stroke event.
Exercise is known to be beneficial in fibromyalgia management; however few studies have examined its specific effects on fatigue.
Participants in the yoga/meditation group also showed reduced levels of depression and anxiety.
The benefits of CBT and exercise can last over 2 years.
Exercise and general increases in daily physical activity can help improve balance, reduce fatigue, and regain mental clarity in patients with MS.
Walking, running or swimming may reduce a range of symptoms of neurodegenerative disorders.
The intervention did not seem to resolve existing sleep issues, however.
Notably, most healthy controls are also not meeting current recommendations for physical activity and steps.
A combination of physical, occupational, hand, speech, cognitive, and behavioral therapy improves outcomes.
The woman was in otherwise good health before suffering a hemorrhagic stroke after drinking a supplement containing BMPEA.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis: Effects on DMTs, the Treatment Team, and More
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- FDA Approves Powerful New Opioid Despite Criticisms
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Efficacy of Naftazone on Motor Symptoms of Parkinson Disease
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Addressing Levodopa-Resistant Parkinson Disease
- Pediatric Migraine: Evidence-Based Alternative Management
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Circadian, Circaseptan Rhythms Prevalent in Epileptic Seizure Cycles
- Jolt Accentuation of Headache Not a Universal Indicator of Acute Meningitis
- Reduced Survival for Patients With Idiopathic Parkinsonism
- ACA Implementation Decreased Rates of Therapy Nonadherence in Stroke Survivors
- Fluorescence Can ID High-Grade Glioma During Sx for Brain Tumor