Generic Name and Formulations:
Aflibercept 40mg/mL; soln for oph intravitreal inj; preservative-free.
Indications for EYLEA:
Neovascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Macular edema following retinal vein occlusion (RVO). Diabetic macular edema (DME). Diabetic retinopathy (DR) in patients with DME.
Give by intravitreal injection. AMD: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly) for the 1st 3 months, followed by 2mg (0.05mL) once every 8 weeks; some may need the monthly dosing after the 1st 3 months. RVO: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly). DME, DR: 2mg (0.05mL) once every 4 weeks (monthly) for the 1st 5 injections, followed by 2mg (0.05mL) once every 8 weeks (2 months); some may need the monthly dosing after the 1st 5 months.
Ocular or periocular infections. Active intraocular inflammation.
Monitor for endophthalmitis and retinal detachments during the week following injection. Monitor intraocular pressure and perfusion of optic nerve head after injection. Potential risk of arterial thromboembolic events (eg, nonfatal stroke or MI, vascular death). Pregnancy. Females of reproductive potential should use effective contraception prior to initial dose, during therapy, and for at least 3 months after last injection. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Recombinant fusion protein (human VEGF inhibitor + human IgG1).
Conjunctival hemorrhage, eye pain, cataract, vitreous detachment, vitreous floaters, increased intraocular pressure; hypersensitivity reactions.
Single-use vial—1 (w. needles + syringe)
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd