Famotidine Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Famotidine 10mg/mL; soln for IV inj or infusion after dilution; multidose vials contain benzyl alcohol.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Famotidine Injection :
Hospitalized patients with pathological hypersecretory conditions, intractable ulcers, or as a short-term alternative to oral dosage forms.
Give by IV inj over 2 mins or infuse over 15–30 mins. 20mg every 12hrs.
See full labeling. Give by IV inj over 2 mins or infuse over 15 mins. <1yr: not recommended. 1–16yrs: initially 0.25mg/kg every 12hrs; max 40mg/day.
Symptomatic response does not preclude gastric malignancy. Moderate-to-severe renal insufficiency (CrCl <50mL/min): reduce to ½ the dose or prolong dosing interval to 36–48hrs. Elderly: use low doses. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Concomitant dasatinib, delavirdine mesylate, cefditoren, fosamprenavir: not recommended. May alter absorption of pH-dependent drugs (eg, atazanavir, erlotinib, ketoconazole, itraconazole, ledipasvir/sofosbuvir, nilotinib, rilpivirine). May potentiate CYP1A2 substrates (eg, tizanidine); monitor if use is needed. May give antacids concomitantly.
Headache, dizziness, constipation, diarrhea, inj site reactions; rare: CNS reactions, prolonged QT interval in renal impairment (moderate and severe).
Formerly known under the brand name Pepcid Injection.
Tabs—30, 100; Susp—50mL; Inj—contact supplier
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Oxidized Low-Density Lipoprotein May Predict Risk for Recurrent Stroke
- Inappropriate Prescribing Protocols in Parkinson Disease
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis