Generic Name and Formulations:
Deferiprone 500mg; scored tabs.
ApoPharma USA Inc.
Indications for FERRIPROX:
Treatment of transfusional iron overload due to thalassemia syndromes when current chelation therapy is inadequate.
Limitations Of use:
Not for use in treating other chronic anemias.
Individualize. Initially 25mg/kg three times daily (total dose 75mg/kg/day). Max: 33mg/kg three times daily (total dose 99mg/kg/day). Round dose to the nearest 250mg (half-tablet). Adjust dose to individual response and therapeutic goals. Consider temporary dose interruption if serum ferritin falls consistently <500mcg/L.
Risk of neutropenia or fatal agranulocytosis. Measure ANC before starting therapy and monitor weekly during. Interrupt therapy if infection or neutropenia develops (ANC <1.5×109/L). If neutropenia occurs, obtain CBCs, WBCs, ANC, and platelets daily until recovery (ANC ≥1.5×109/L). Monitor serum ALT monthly; consider interruption if persistent increase in transaminase levels. Monitor serum ferritin every 2–3 months. Monitor plasma zinc, supplement if deficient. Severe hepatic impairment. Elderly. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Iron chelating agent.
Avoid concomitant use with other drugs associated with neutropenia or agranulocytosis. Allow at least 4-hour interval with antacids or mineral supplements containing polyvalent cations (eg, iron, aluminum, zinc). Concomitant UGT 1A6 inhibitors: closely monitor and may need dose adjustments or interruptions.
Chromaturia, GI upset, abdominal pain, increased ALT, arthralgia, neutropenia; agranulocytosis.
This product is available from Dohmen Life Science Services. Dohmen Life Science Services is the sole distributor of Ferriprox in the U.S.
For more information, contact Ferriprox Total Care at (866) 758-7071.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd