Geoffrey Littlejohn, MD, provides a clinical perspective on the pathophysiology of fibromyalgia and the role of neurogenic inflammation in the disease process.
Mirtazapine is a central alpha-2 antagonist currently FDA-approved for the treatment of major depressive disorder.
Providing guidance to improve dietary behavior, which may include supplementation to achieve an optimal nutritional status, can contribute to improved control of fibromyalgia symptoms.
Improvement in fibromyalgia impact questionnaire scores was greater for combined tai chi groups.
A new blood test that uses RNA data to identify fibromyalgia has been released by IQuity.
A probable diagnosis of fibromyalgia can be indicated with 2 simple tests in chronic pain patients.
Opioid therapy was shown to improve quality of life in patients with comorbid fibromyalgia and PTSD.
Aerobic exercise appeared to benefit health-related quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia.
As a response to the opioid epidemic, clinicians may be overprescribing gabapentinoids.
Childhood adversity levels are increased in female patients with fibromyalgia and chronic pain.
Although there is currently no gold standard therapy for the treatment of fibromyalgia, a number of medications have shown modest efficacy in managing fibromyalgia-related pain, including pregabalin.
While adherence was improved, health care costs were increased.
A 10-minute application resulted in significant reductions in pain scores.
Even minor improvements in fibromyalgia symptoms, depression, anxiety, and pain can have a significant impact on the quality of life in patients with fibromyalgia.
Transcranial random noise stimulation improved both physical and cognitive symptoms of fibromyalgia.
Significant improvement were observed for sensitivity, depression, and anxiety, among others.
Patients with fibromyalgia had a high prevalence of TRAb positivity compared with control populations in previous studies.
Higher self-regulatory fatigue linked to lower QOL scores relating to physical functioning, role limitations-physical, bodily pain, and general health.
Exercise is known to be beneficial in fibromyalgia management; however few studies have examined its specific effects on fatigue.
A multidisciplinary group reviewed evidence on the pharmacological and non-pharmacological management of fibromyalgia.
Combination of lidocaine with amitriptyline showed no meaningful benefits.
There is still insufficient agreement for clinical decisions and diagnosis.
Fibromyalgia places a substantial burden on both patients and the health care system.
Migraine may exacerbate fibromyalgia symptoms, researchers found.
Disordered sleep has been implicated in the impairment of descending inhibitory pain pathways that may contribute to abnormal pain sensitization present in fibromyalgia.
Despite a greater sleep drive, patients with fibromyalgia struggle to stay asleep.
The appropriate dosage of naltrexone for fibromyalgia patients is still unknown.
The reductions in pain intensity persisted at 1 year.
Comorbid disease types appear to elevate dysfunction in the brain.
New research suggests that fibromyalgia is primarily a peripheral nerve disorder that causes central nervous system sensitization.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Addressing Rare Headache Disorders: Acute Confusional Migraine
- Organic Solvents Plus Genetics May Increase Risk of Multiple Sclerosis
- No Significant Clinical Differences Between Cluster Headaches With and Without Aura
- Co-Prescription of Opioids and Antidepressants Prevalent in Migraine
- Deep Brain Stimulation May Slow Rest Tremor Progression in Parkinson Disease
- Herpesvirus Abundant in Alzheimer Disease Brain, New Study Finds
- Patients' Preferences for Physician Attire Linked to Perception of Care
- Weighing the Risks of Deep Brain Stimulation
- Grey Matter Atrophy Sequence in Multiple Sclerosis Phenotypes
- Higher Vitamin D Levels Associated With Fewer Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis
- Screening Tool Differentiates Progressive Supranuclear Palsy and Parkinson Disease
- Risk Factors for Impulse Control Behaviors in Parkinson Disease
- Cardiac Pathology in SUDEP Compared With Sudden Arrhythmic or Traumatic Deaths
- 11.2% of U.S. Adults Aged ≥45 Report Subjective Mental Decline
- AMA Aims to Boost Affordability of ACA Marketplace Plans