Generic Name and Formulations:
Floxuridine 500mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for intra-arterial infusion after reconstitution and dilution.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Floxuridine:
Palliative therapy of GI adenocarcinoma with liver metastases in select patients (see literature).
Continuous arterial infusion 0.1–0.6mg/kg per day. Hepatic artery infusion: 0.4–0.6mg/kg per day. May give until adverse reactions occur; treat as long as response continues. See literature.
Poor nutritional state. Myelosuppression. Serious infections.
Hospitalize for 1st course. Hepatic or renal dysfunction. History of high-dose pelvic irradiation or alkylation therapy. Monitor blood (esp WBC, platelets). Discontinue for myocardial ischemia, stomatitis or esophagopharyngitis, WBC <3500 or rapidly falling, intractable vomiting, GI ulcer/bleeding, diarrhea, platelets <100000, hemorrhage. Pregnancy (Cat.D); avoid use. Nursing mothers: not recommended.
GI upset, enteritis, stomatitis, localized erythema, myelosuppression, liver dysfunction, GI bleeding/ulcer, duodenitis, gastroenteritis, glossitis, pharyngitis, intra- and extrahepatic biliary sclerosis, acalculous cholecystitis, alopecia, dermatitis, myocardial ischemia, fever, malaise; lab abnormalities (eg, anemia, leukopenia, thrombocytopenia, abnormal PT, total proteins, ESR, ALT/SGOT, bilirubin, lactic dehydrogenase); procedural complications (eg, arterial aneurysm, ischemia, thrombotic events, fibromyositis, thrombophlebitis, hepatic necrosis, abscess).
Formerly known under the brand name FUDR.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL