FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Quadrivalent, live attenuated influenza vaccine (virus types A and B); formulation changes annually; susp in intranasal sprayer; contains gelatin, arginine, gentamicin (trace); preservative-free.
Indications for FLUMIST QUADRIVALENT:
Adults and Children:
<2yrs or ≥50yrs: not recommended. Give before start of flu season; each dose is 0.2mL intranasally (as 0.1mL/nostril). 2–8yrs: 1 or 2 doses/season (depends on vaccination history as per annual ACIP recommendation); if 2 doses, give at least 1 month apart. 9–49yrs: 1 dose/season.
Allergy to egg protein, gentamicin, gelatin, or arginine. Life-threatening reaction to previous flu vaccine. Concomitant aspirin in patients 2–17yrs of age (Reye's syndrome).
Use current formulation only. Asthmatics or children <5yrs old with recurrent wheezing: may be at increased risk of wheezing following administration. Guillain-Barre syndrome within 6 weeks of previous flu vaccine. Underlying medical conditions predisposing to flu complications. Immunocompromised. Have epinephrine inj (1:1000) available. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant vaccines: see full labeling. Do not administer until 48hrs after antiviral therapy cessation. Do not give antivirals within 2 weeks of administration.
Rhinorrhea/nasal congestion, fever, sore throat, decreased appetite, irritability; wheezing.
Single-dose pre-filled nasal spray (0.2mL)—10
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd