Fluphenazine Elixir Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Fluphenazine HCl 0.5mg/mL; alcohol 14%.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fluphenazine Elixir:
Initially: 2.5–10mg daily in 3–4 divided doses; max 40mg daily.
Initially 1–2.5mg daily in 3–4 divided doses; max 40mg daily.
Coma. CNS or bone marrow depression. Liver disease. Subcortical brain damage. Blood dyscrasias.
Cardiovascular or renal disease. Pheochromocytoma. Seizures. Glaucoma. History of breast cancer. Exposure to extreme heat or organophosphates. Gradually reduce to lowest effective maintenance dose. Monitor blood, liver, renal, and ocular function. Mental retardation. Surgery. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates anticholinergics, CNS depression with alcohol and other CNS depressants; both drugs with propranolol. Antagonized by anticholinergics. Decreased guanethidine effects. May cause false (+) pregnancy test.
Drowsiness, anticholinergic and other autonomic effects, insomnia, restlessness, rash, photosensitivity, tardive dyskinesia, blood dyscrasias, jaundice, pneumonia, hypertension, retinopathy, lowered seizure threshold, extrapyramidal reactions, neuroleptic malignant syndrome, weight changes, endocrine effects.
Formerly known under the brand names Prolixin (tabs, concentrate, elixir, inj); Permitil (tabs, concentrate); Prolixin Decanoate (decanoate inj).
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Deep Brain Stimulation Improves Parkinson Disease in Older Adults
- Optimizing Treatment for Patients With Chronic Sciatica: Gabapentin vs Pregabalin
- Tiglutik Now Available for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Modifiable CV Risk Factors Within Healthy Range Indicative of CV Morphology, White Matter Lesions
- A New Look at Demyelination and White Matter Density in Multiple Sclerosis