Generic Name and Formulations:
Flutamide 125mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Flutamide:
In combination with LHRH agonists (GnRH analogues) in locally confined stage B2–C and stage D2 metastatic prostate carcinoma.
250mg every 8 hrs.
Severe hepatic impairment. ALT ≥2xULN: not recommended.
Monitor liver function at baseline, monthly for first 4 months, then periodically, and if liver dysfunction occurs; if ALT >2xULN or jaundice occurs, discontinue and monitor closely until resolution. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA). Consider monitoring methemoglobin levels in patients susceptible to aniline toxicity (e.g., G6PD deficiency, smokers, hemoglobin M disease). Pregnancy (Cat.D); not for use in women.
Diarrhea, hot flashes, loss of libido, impotence, GI disturbances, gynecomastia, rash, edema, hypertension, CNS effects, blood dyscrasias, urine discoloration, liver failure.
Formerly known under the brand name Eulexin.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Managing Status Epilepticus in Palliative Care: Accounting for Patient and Family Experience
- Oxygen Desaturation Index Predicts AFib Risk in Ischemic Stroke
- Opioid Use Down With 'Enhanced Recovery After Surgery' Program
- Popular Heroin Inhalation Method Tied to Leukoencephalopathy
- Erenumab Superior to Placebo for Reducing Migraine Disability, Improving HRQoL