Generic Name and Formulations:
Flutamide 125mg; caps.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Flutamide:
In combination with LHRH agonists (GnRH analogues) in locally confined stage B2–C and stage D2 metastatic prostate carcinoma.
250mg every 8 hrs.
Severe hepatic impairment. ALT ≥2xULN: not recommended.
Monitor liver function at baseline, monthly for first 4 months, then periodically, and if liver dysfunction occurs; if ALT >2xULN or jaundice occurs, discontinue and monitor closely until resolution. Monitor prostate specific antigen (PSA). Consider monitoring methemoglobin levels in patients susceptible to aniline toxicity (e.g., G6PD deficiency, smokers, hemoglobin M disease). Pregnancy (Cat.D); not for use in women.
Diarrhea, hot flashes, loss of libido, impotence, GI disturbances, gynecomastia, rash, edema, hypertension, CNS effects, blood dyscrasias, urine discoloration, liver failure.
Formerly known under the brand name Eulexin.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- FDA Approves Aimovig for Migraine Prevention
- Prediction Algorithm Stratifies ICH Patients at Risk for Hematoma Expansion
- Sports-Related Concussion Outcomes Predicted With Serum Neurofilament Light
- FDA: Lamotrigine Linked to Potentially Life-Threatening Adverse Reaction
- Psychological Therapies May Help Older Adults With Chronic Pain
- Amyloid Positivity Increases Risk for Cognitive Impairment in Dementia-Free Patients
- Valproic Acid-Related Adverse Fetal Outcomes May Be Linked to Placental Effects
- Risk of Dementia Up for Older Adults With Lowest Wealth
- Language Used in Medical Record Can Affect Patient Care
- Mortality in Alzheimer Disease Not Strongly Associated With Antipsychotics