Generic Name and Formulations:
Fosinopril sodium, hydrochlorothiazide; 10mg/12.5mg, 20mg/12.5mg; tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Fosinopril/Hydrochlorothiazide:
Hypertension. Not for initial therapy.
Give once daily. Usual range: fosinopril: 10–20mg; HCTZ: 12.5–50mg. Severe renal impairment (CrCl<30mL/min): not recommended.
Anuria. Hypersensitivity to ACE inhibitors, sulfonamide-derived drugs.
Discontinue if angioedema, laryngeal edema, jaundice, or markedly elevated liver enzymes occurs. Salt/volume depletion; correct before initiating therapy. Renal or hepatic impairment. CHF. Dialysis (esp. high-flux membrane). Renal artery stenosis. Surgery. Diabetes. Gout. SLE. Monitor WBCs in renal or collagen vascular disease. Monitor electrolytes, BUN (if high). Pregnancy (Cat.C in 1st trimester; Cat.D in 2nd and 3rd trimester). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
ACE inhibitor + diuretic (thiazide).
Potassium or K+-sparing diuretics may cause hyperkalemia. May increase lithium levels. Antagonized by NSAIDs. Separate antacid dosing by 2hrs. May cause false low serum digoxin measurements. May antagonize norepinephrine, methenamine. May potentiate nondepolarizing muscle relaxants. Adjust antidiabetic, antigout medications. ACTH, corticosteroids increase hypokalemia risk. May interfere with parathyroid tests. Nitritoid reactions with injectable gold.
Headache, cough, fatigue; hyperkalemia, orthostatic hypotension, angioedema (discontinue if occurs).
Formerly known under the brand name Monopril HCT.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Serious Adverse Events Profile for Cladribine Confirmed With Extended Data
- Patients With Multiple Sclerosis Face Greater Infection Risk
- Ozanimod Reduces Severe Relapses in Multiple Sclerosis More Than Interferon Beta-1a
- Unintended Pregnancy Common in Women With Epilepsy
- Aggressive Blood Pressure Lowering in Intracerebral Hemorrhage May Be Harmful
- Risk of Opioid-Benzodiazepine Overlap Up for Dual Prescribing
- Minority Residents Experience Burdens Linked to Race/Ethnicity
- Tips Provided for Budgeting in Medical Residency