FOSRENOL ORAL POWDER Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Lanthum carbonate 750mg, 1000mg; per stick pack.
Shire US, Inc.
Indications for FOSRENOL ORAL POWDER:
To reduce serum phosphate in end-stage renal disease.
Take with meals. Chew or crush tabs completely before swallowing. Poor dentition or difficulty chewing tabs: consider using oral pwd form. Oral pwd: sprinkle on small quantity of applesauce or similar food and consume immediately; do not dissolve pwd in liquid for administration. Initially 1.5g/day in divided doses. Titrate at 2–3 wk intervals in increments of 750mg/day based on serum phosphate. Usual range: 1.5g–3g.
Bowl obstruction, including ileus and fecal impaction.
Chew tabs: risk of GI obstruction and perforation esp. in patients with altered GI anatomy (eg, diverticular disease, peritonitis, history of GI surgery, cancer, ulceration) and hypomotility disorders (eg, constipation, ileus, subileus, diabetic gastroparesis). Monitor serum phosphate levels. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy (Cat.C); not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Separate dosing of drugs that interact with antacids by 2hrs. Antagonizes quinolone antibiotics; give quinolone 1hr before or 4hrs after Fosrenol. If quinolone given for short course, consider eliminating Fosrenol doses scheduled near quinolone intake to improve quinolone absorption. Antagonizes levothyroxine; separate administration by 2hrs, monitor TSH levels. Increased risk of GI obstruction or perforation with concomitant calcium channel blockers. May interfere with abdominal x-ray.
Nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain; serious GI effects.
Tabs 500mg patient pack (2 x 45 tabs)—1; Tabs 750mg patient pack (6 x 15 tabs)—1; Tabs 1000mg patient pack (9 x 10 tabs)—1; Oral pwd stick pack—10; Oral pwd patient pack (9 x 10 stick packs)—1
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Visual Association Test, MMSE Highly Predictive of Dementia in Older Adults
- Epilepsy's Mobility Problem: Advocating for Changes in Transportation Laws, Public Resources
- The Future of Freezing of Gait in Parkinson's: Exploring Potential Treatments and Preventive Strategies
- Women With Epilepsy More Likely to Have Major Depressive Disorder
- Some Common Allergies Linked to Odds of Autism in Children
- CAPPRI Scale is Feasible for Assessing Health-Related Quality of Life in Diabetic Distal Sensorimotor Polyneuropathy
- Long-Term Type 1 Diabetes Associated With Cognitive Decline
- White Matter Hyperintensities in RCVS Vary Over Time
- Disrupted Thalamo-Striato-Hypothalamic Function May Serve as a Good Biomarker for Parkinson Disease
- Levetiracetam Effective as Episodic Migraine Prophylactic