There are currently no treatments available for frontotemporal dementia.
Investigators sought to identify genetic factors that may contribute to the risk for neurodegenerative diseases, such as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis and frontotemporal dementia.
The investigators hope that the findings from the study help raise awareness of frontotemporal dementia in geriatric patients.
Using a transcranial magnetic stimulation approach might make it easier to distinguish Alzheimer's disease from frontotemporal dementia.
Neuroimaging and if necessary, genetic testing, can help to confirm an FTD diagnosis.
Eating abnormalities in frontotemporal dementia result from a network of brain regions, rather than 1or 2 specific structures.
Addressing proteasome dysfunction may help prevent accumulation of the toxic protein.
A gene mutation behind a large amount of ALS and FTD cases may disrupt nuclear transport, destroying neurons.
The mouse model will allow researchers to effectively test therapeutic compounds.
The results support the "cognitive reserve" theory that greater mental activity promotes brain connectivity.
C9orf72 hypermethylation helps protect the brain against damage in ALS and frontotemporal degeneration.
Alzheimer's patients had 1.4 times higher concentrations of IAPP than non-Alzheimer's patients in temporal cortex.
The highest dose of intranasal oxytocin seemed to produce the best response.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Multiple System Atrophy: A Common Form of Atypical Parkinsonism
- Migraine Treatment in the ED: Overcoming Our Penchant for Opioids
- Erenumab as a Therapy for Hard to Treat Episodic Migraine
- Nusinersen May Be Effective for Short-Term Motor Function Improvements in Spinal Muscular Atrophy
- Reduced Survival for Patients With Idiopathic Parkinsonism
- New Diagnostic Criteria for Neurosarcoidosis: What You Need to Know
- Guideline for Diagnosis and Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
- Guidelines on the Use of OnabotulinumtoxinA for Chronic Migraine
- Ivy League Rule Change Linked to Fewer Concussions During NCAA Football Games
- Biomarkers of Alzheimer Disease Observed in Down Syndrome
- FDA Issues Safety Alert Regarding Intrathecal Delivery of Pain Meds
- High Daily Stress Linked to Migraine Prevalence in Women
- Researchers Identify Coffee Component That May Provide Neuroprotection
- Functional Imaging in Movement Disorders: Diagnostic Advantages
- Dextroamphetamine Plus Physical Therapy Nonsuperior to Placebo for Improving Post-Stroke Motor Recovery