Generic Name and Formulations:
Nitrofurantoin 25mg/5mL; susp.
Indications for FURADANTIN:
Take with food. 50–100mg 4 times daily. Suppressive therapy: 50–100mg once daily at bedtime may suffice.
Take with food. <1month: contraindicated. ≥1month: 5–7mg/kg per day in 4 divided doses. Suppressive therapy: 1mg/kg per day in 1–2 divided doses may suffice.
Renal impairment (CrCl <60mL/min or significantly elevated serum creatinine), anuria, oliguria. Neonates. Labor & delivery. Pregnancy at term. History of cholestatic jaundice or hepatic dysfunction.
Not for treating pyelonephritis or perinephric abscesses. Discontinue if pulmonary or hepatic disorders, hemolysis, or peripheral neuropathy occurs. Renal insufficiency. G6PD or Vit. B deficiency. Anemia. Diabetes. Electrolyte imbalance. Debilitated. Monitor renal and pulmonary function in long-term use. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers: not recommended.
Avoid magnesium trisilicate. Antagonized by, and increased toxicity with uricosurics (eg, probenecid). May cause false (+) glucose test with Benedict's or Fehling's solution.
Nausea, emesis, anorexia, dizziness, headache, pulmonary or hematological disorders (esp. in long-term use), peripheral neuropathy, allergic reactions, C. difficile-associated diarrhea; rare: hepatic dysfunction, exfoliative dermatitis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, optic neuritis, methemoglobinemia.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- Thrombolysis With Tenecteplase Is as Safe as Alteplase in Stroke Mimics
- Loss of Function Variants in LRRK1 and LRRK2 Not Linked to Parkinson Disease
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- ZTlido Patch for Post-Shingles Pain Launching Soon
- Managing Complications of Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy
- Deep Brain Stimulation Reduces Tremor Symptoms in Parkinson Disease
- FDA Issues Statement Addressing Safety Concerns Associated With Nuplazid
- Prevalence of Autoimmune Encephalitis in Herpes Simplex Encephalitis Explored