Generic Name and Formulations:
Amantadine HCl 68.5mg, 137mg; ext-rel caps.
Adamas Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Indications for GOCOVRI:
Treatment of dyskinesia in Parkinson's disease patients receiving levodopa-based therapy, with or without concomitant dopaminergic medications.
Swallow whole. May open caps and sprinkle contents on a teaspoonful of soft food (eg, applesauce) if needed. Initially 137mg once daily at bedtime; increase to 274mg once daily at bedtime after 1 week. Renal impairment (CrCl 30–59mL/min/1.73m2): initially 68.5mg once daily; increase to max 137mg once daily after 1 week; (CrCl 15–29mL/min/1.73m2): 68.5mg once daily.
End-stage renal disease (CrCl <15mL/min/1.73m2).
Sleep disorders. Discontinue if daytime sleepiness or episodes of falling asleep during activities that require full attention develops. Monitor for depression, suicidal ideation or behavior. Psychotic disorders. Monitor for hallucinations, dizziness, orthostatic hypotension (esp. at initiation and after dose increases). Monitor for new or increased urges or compulsive behaviors; consider reducing dose or discontinuing if develops. Avoid abrupt cessation. Monitor conditions (eg, renal tubular acidosis, severe UTIs) that can alter the urine pH (acidic or alkaline). Renal impairment. Elderly: monitor renal function. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Concomitant alcohol, live attenuated vaccines: not recommended. Increased somnolence with concomitant sedatives. Potentiated by anticholinergics; reduce dose. Concomitant drugs affecting urinary pH (eg, carbonic anhydrase inhibitors, sodium bicarbonate); monitor.
Hallucination, dizziness, dry mouth, peripheral edema, constipation, falls, orthostatic hypotension; drowsiness, suicidality, depression, withdrawal-emergent hyperpyrexia/confusion, impulse control/compulsive behavior.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Gender and Multiple Sclerosis: How It Influences Prognosis and Future Treatment
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- Thrombolysis With Tenecteplase Is as Safe as Alteplase in Stroke Mimics
- Loss of Function Variants in LRRK1 and LRRK2 Not Linked to Parkinson Disease
- Smoking Promotes Disease Progression in Multiple Sclerosis
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- ZTlido Patch for Post-Shingles Pain Launching Soon
- Managing Complications of Intrathecal Baclofen Therapy
- Deep Brain Stimulation Reduces Tremor Symptoms in Parkinson Disease
- FDA Issues Statement Addressing Safety Concerns Associated With Nuplazid
- Prevalence of Autoimmune Encephalitis in Herpes Simplex Encephalitis Explored