Granisetron HCl Injection Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Granisetron (as HCl) 1mg/mL (contains benzyl alcohol); 0.1mg/mL (preservative-free); IV inj.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Granisetron HCl Injection:
Prevention of nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy (including high-dose cisplatin). Prevention and treatment of post-op nausea and vomiting.
Adults and Children:
Chemotherapy: give as an undiluted IV injection over 30 seconds or as a diluted IV infusion over 5 minutes. <2 years: not recommended; ≥2 years: 10micrograms/kg starting within 30 minutes of initiating chemotherapy, only on the days chemotherapy is given. Post-op (adults): infuse 1mg undiluted IV over 30 seconds. For prevention, give before induction of anesthesia or immediately before reversal of anesthesia. Post-op (children): not recommended.
Abdominal surgery. May mask progressive ileus and/or gastric distention. Pre-existing arrhythmias or cardiac conduction disorders. Cardiac disease, concomitant cardio-toxic chemotherapy or electrolyte abnormalities: increased risk of QT prolongation. Pregnancy (Cat.B). Nursing mothers.
Selective 5-HT3 receptor antagonist.
Caution with drugs that affect CYP450 or prolong the QT interval.
Headache, asthenia, diarrhea, constipation; QT prolongation.
Formerly known under the brand name Kytril.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Rasagiline Plus Riluzole is Safe, May Improve Survival in ALS
- Treatment of New-Onset Epilepsy: AAN, AES Update Practice Guidelines
- Gender Differences in the Epidemiology of Migraine
- Changes in Glucose Regulation in Parkinson Disease
- Apomorphine Infusions Improves Off Time Associated With Parkinson Disease
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Locally Asymptomatic Ischemic Stroke May Present as Migraine Aura
- Associations Identified Between Stroke Severity, Recovery of Visuospatial Neglect
- Action Tremor May Have Central Origin in Motor Neuron Disease
- Characteristics Affecting Health-Related Quality of Life in RRMS, Progressive MS
- Neurodevelopmental Anomalies, Birth Defects Linked to Zika ID'd