Generic Name and Formulations:
Nicotine 7mg/24hr, 14mg/24hr, 21mg/24hr; transdermal patch.
Dr. Reddy's Laboratories, Inc.
Indications for HABITROL:
Adjunct in smoking cessation therapy.
≥18yrs: Apply to clean, dry, nonhairy site on trunk or upper outer arm; rotate application site. Remove patch after 24 hours; if vivid dreams or other sleep disturbances occur, remove at bedtime and reapply in AM. >10cigarettes/day: initially one 21mg patch daily for 4 weeks; then one 14mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop. ≤10cigarettes/day: initially one 14mg patch daily for 6 weeks then one 7mg patch daily for 2 weeks, then stop. Max 1 patch/24hrs. Do not cut patch.
<18yrs: not recommended.
Concurrent smoking or use of other nicotine products.
Discontinue if irregular heartbeat, palpitations, allergic reaction, or symptoms of nicotine overdose occur. Heart disease. Post-MI. Arrhythmias. Hypertension. Depression. Asthma. Allergy to adhesive tape, other skin problems. Stomach ulcers. Diabetes. History of seizures. Low doses may be toxic to children and pets; discard properly. Pregnancy: not recommended. Nursing mothers.
Remove patch prior to MRI procedures. Smoking cessation potentiates theophylline, insulin, β-blockers, pentazocine, oxazepam, tricyclic antidepressants (eg, imipramine), caffeine, acetaminophen, adrenergic antagonists (eg, prazosin, labetalol), others. Smoking cessation antagonizes adrenergic agonists (eg, isoproterenol, phenylephrine), others.
Local irritation, GI upset, headache, dizziness, palpitations, hypertension.
Patch 7mg, 14mg—7, 14; 21mg—7, 14, 28
Neurology Advisor Articles
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- Significant Variations in Epilepsy Surgical Strategy, Deficit Reporting Exist
- Smoking Promotes Disease Progression in Multiple Sclerosis
- Situation Framing, Language Can Influence Decision-Making
- Thrombolysis With Tenecteplase Is as Safe as Alteplase in Stroke Mimics
- FDA: Opioid Analgesic REMS Expanded to Include Immediate-Release Products