Generic Name and Formulations:
Hydrocortisone 1%; crm; oint.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Hydrocortisone:
Adults and Children:
Apply thin film 2–4 times daily.
Do not use superpotent forms on face, groin, or axillae. Exclude viral disease (eg, chickenpox, measles).
Treat infection if present; discontinue if infection persists or worsens. Do not use near eyes, or on diaper dermatitis or pre-existing skin atrophy. Do not use fluorinated steroids longer than 1 week on the face. Avoid abrupt cessation in chronic use. Systemic absorption increased by broken or inflamed skin, prolonged use, application to large surface area, or use of occlusive dressings. Occlude only if necessary; do not occlude higher potency products. Monitor adrenal function in children if a high potency product or occlusion is used, and in adults if more than 50g weekly of a high potency product is used. Discontinue or reduce dose or potency if HPA axis suppression, Cushing's syndrome, hyperglycemia, glucosuria, or irritation occurs. Use lowest effective dose and potency (esp. in children). Use caution if applying to face or body folds. Do not use continuously or for prophylaxis. Foams are flammable. Reevaluate periodically. Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Burning, stinging, pruritus, erythema, skin atrophy, striae, miliaria, secondary infections, hypopigmentation, folliculitis, hypertrichosis, acneiform eruptions, dermal cracking and fissuring, telangiectasia, contact dermatitis, other local effects, immunosuppression, masks infections, HPA axis suppression (esp. in children).
Formerly known under the brand name Cortaid, Hytone.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- Cannabis for Multiple Sclerosis: Prescriber's Perspective
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- OnabotulinumtoxinA for Post-Stroke Spasticity: Treatment Strategies and Limitations
- Tau Associated With Loss of Anterior Temporal White Matter Integrity
- Location Probability Learning Unimpaired in Parkinson Disease
- Prenatal Tdap Vaccination Not Linked to Autism Risk
- AMA Adopts Policy to Advance Gender Equity in Medicine