INDOCIN IV Rx
Generic Name and Formulations:
Indomethacin 1mg/vial; lyophilized pwd for IV infusion after reconstitution.
Recordati Rare Diseases, Inc.
Indications for INDOCIN IV:
Closure of hemodynamically significant patent ductus arteriosus in premature infants weighing 500‒1750g when after 48 hours of usual medical management is ineffective.
Give by IV infusion over 20‒30mins at 12‒24hr intervals for a total of 3 doses; monitor urinary output. Age <48hrs: initially 0.2mg/kg, then 0.1mg/kg for doses 2 and 3; 2‒7days old: 0.2mg/kg for all three doses; >7days old: initially 0.2mg/kg, then 0.25mg/kg for doses 2 and 3. If anuria or oliguria (urinary output <0.6mL/kg/hr) is evident at time of 2nd or 3rd dose, suspend therapy until renal function is normal. May give a second course of 1‒3 doses if ductus arteriosus re-opens. If unresponsive after 2 courses, surgery may be needed.
Untreated infection. Active intracranial hemorrhage or GI bleeding. Thrombocytopenia. Coagulations disorders. Necrotizing enterocolitis. Significant renal impairment. Congenital heart disease in which ductus arteriosus patency is necessary for satisfactory pulmonary or systemic blood flow.
Volume depletion. CHF. Sepsis. May mask signs of infection. Hepatic or renal impairment. Monitor serum electrolytes, hepatic, and renal function during therapy. Discontinue if liver dysfunction occurs. Monitor for signs of bleeding. Avoid extravasation.
NSAID (indole deriv.).
Caution with other nephrotoxic agents, anticoagulants (monitor). Concomitant ACE inhibitors or angiotensin II antagonists may worsen renal dysfunction. Potentiates aminoglycosides, digoxin (monitor for toxicity). Antagonizes furosemide.
Renal failure, electrolyte disturbances, GI bleeding, transient oliguria, elevated serum creatinine, decreased platelet aggregation.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Higher Levels of Cholesterol May Protect Men From Parkinson Disease
- Ajovy Injection Approved for Migraine Prevention in Adults
- Chronic Pain May Be Contributor to Suicide
- FDA Approves Tiglutik for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- New 15-Item Dyspnea-ALS-Score Assesses Dyspnea in ALS
- CDC: About One in Five U.S. Adults Have Chronic Pain
- Fingolimod Cuts Multiple Sclerosis Relapses in Pediatric Patients
- Gains in Insurance Coverage Seen for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Adults
- Brivaracetam Effective for Reducing Seizures in Patients with Epileptic Encephalopathies