Generic Name and Formulations:
Iron (as dextran complex) 50mg/mL; soln for IV or IM inj.
Indications for INFED:
Iron deficiency where oral therapy is unsatisfactory or impossible.
Adults and Children:
Give by IV or by deep IM (into upper outer quadrant of buttock only) inj. Administer 0.5mL test dose first; if no signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, may give full therapeutic dose. Iron deficiency anemia: determine total dose based on hemoglobin and body weight (see literature). Iron replacement for blood loss: Replacement iron (in mg) = blood loss (in mL) X hematocrit. Max daily doses: <5kg: 0.5mL (25mg), <10kg: 1mL (50mg), ≥10kg: 2mL (100mg).
Anemias not associated with iron deficiency.
Risk for anaphylactic-type reactions.
Monitor for signs/symptoms of anaphylactic-type reactions, esp. in patients with history of drug allergies, asthma; have epinephrine available. Avoid large IV doses: higher incidence of adverse events. Severe hepatic impairment. Avoid during acute phase of infectious kidney disease. Dialysis. Cardiovascular disease. May reactivate quiescent rheumatoid arthritis. Neonates (avoid during first 4 months). Pregnancy (Cat.C). Nursing mothers.
Concomitant ACE inhibitors may increase the risk for anaphylactic-type reactions. May falsely elevate serum bilirubin or decrease serum calcium levels.
See full labeling. Anaphylactic reactions (may be fatal; even if test dose was tolerated), cardiovascular events, pruritus, GI upset, arthralgia, arthritis, inj site reactions, others; possible IM inj site tumors, sepsis in neonates.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Excess Abdominal Obesity Linked to Severe Disability in Multiple Sclerosis
- Change in Dietary Patterns Over 5 Years in Early Multiple Sclerosis
- High-Dose Biotin May Be an Effective Treatment for Progressive MS
- Biobank Data Suggest Vitamin D Reduces Risk for Multiple Sclerosis
- Poor Functional Outcomes Tied to Depressive Symptoms in Multiple Sclerosis
- Oxidized Low-Density Lipoprotein May Predict Risk for Recurrent Stroke
- Inappropriate Prescribing Protocols in Parkinson Disease
- Physical Activity Decreases Vascular Comorbidities in Multiple Sclerosis
- Review of Factors Impacting Sport-Related Concussion Headaches
- Congress Passes Bill to Fight Opioid Crisis