Wearing amber lenses for 2 hours before bedtime is associated with improved sleep, for individuals with insomnia symptoms.
Zolpidem has been associated with memory loss and decline in cognitive function.
Over 33% of older adults have reported using medication to help them sleep.
The treatment was effective in patients with autism with or without comorbid ADHD or neurogenetic disorders.
There are guidelines that should be followed when treating patients with insomnia.
Digital CBT is linked to reduced insomnia, paranoia, and hallucinations for university students.
A doctor who prescribed a particular insomnia medication in the past was 3 times as likely to continue prescribing the same drug
Acupressure may help significantly improve sleep quality index scores in the elderly.
Interventions with clinical massage or guided imagery may help ease pain and anxiety in patients in a progressive care unit.
A marked improvement in daytime sleepiness was observed in patients who underwent surgical weight loss procedures.
Women who were pregnant and slept for less than 6 hours per night or had poor sleep quality had a greater risk of developing gestational diabetes.
Over 56% of SHUTi patients were still in full remission at 1-year follow-up.
The study supports previous findings of hyperarousal of the inflammatory system as a mechanism of insulin resistance.
Overall, 26 of the 34 studies suggested a positive relationship between insomnia and depression.
Reduced REM sleep was correlated with a 23% increased risk of atrial fibrillation, while insomnia was associated with a 29% increased risk.
Women who experienced surgical menopause were more likely to suffer worse insomnia symptoms after 10 years of follow-up.
Opioid usage may exacerbate the problem.
Vehicle drivers and machine operators should be warned that there may be a possible risk of adverse reactions the morning after taking the medication.
Some patients who are approaching seizure control can achieve improvement or seizure freedom by addressing sleep issues.
The telephone-based treatment would allow for broader patient utilization.
Sleep disruption alters positive affective pain modulation.
Drugs should only be considered in insomnia if CBT is not successful.
Primary insomnia patients have lower FA values in regions in the right brain.
Despite a greater sleep drive, patients with fibromyalgia struggle to stay asleep.
Researchers identify connection between disordered sleep, cardiovascular health, and subcortical infarcts in older adults.
Comorbid disease types appear to elevate dysfunction in the brain.
Children with an elevated blood lead level were more likely to struggle with insomnia and daytime sleepiness.
Poorer sleep continuity was noted for intermittent dosing with 10 mg zolpidem.
The results are in contrast to current "low and slow" treatment strategies for insomnia.
The link is dose dependent, with risk increasing with less sleep duration.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Clarifying Cardiovascular Risk in Migraine
- Parkinson Disease Symptom Fluctuations Well-Managed With Adaptive Deep Brain Stimulation
- More Evidence Supports Benefits of Cannabidiol for Treatment-Resistant Epilepsy
- Monthly Erenumab Reduces Frequency of Episodic Migraine
- Reduced Risk for Multiple Sclerosis Linked to Greater Sun Exposure
- Tamsulosin Associated With Dementia Risk in Older Patients With BPH
- FDA Approves Blood Test to Assess Concussion
- Gait Difficulty in Parkinson Disease May Be Associated With More Progressive Disease Course
- Tau PET a Useful Biomarker for Alzheimer Disease Risk and Progression
- Multiple Sclerosis Drug Zinbryta Withdrawn From the Market
- Incidence of Delayed Traumatic Intracranial Hemorrhage Low in Older Adults With Blunt Head Trauma
- Older Epilepsy Patients More Likely to Experience AED, Non-AED Drug Interaction
- Female Gender, Natalizumab Exposure Associated With Increased Lymphopenia Risk in FNG-Treated MS
- Accelerated Cognitive Decline Associated With Retinopathy
- Treatment Effects Often Exaggerated in Early Clinical Studies