The novel treatment did not meet primary endpoints, however it did reduce hospitalization, adverse outcomes, and death.
Women with pregnancy at an advanced age had significantly higher rates of ischemic stroke, hemorrhagic stroke, myocardial infarction, and cardiovascular death.
Patients of advanced age, black race, and with comorbidities have a higher risk of post-stroke GIBO.
The average annual cost for providing care to a stroke survivor was $11,300.
REVERSE-AD is an ongoing phase 3 cohort study evaluating the reversal effects of idarucizumab on dabigatran.
Treatment with IV tPA appeared safe and feasible with stroke onset confirmation from MRI.
Improvements in Rankin Scale score, Stroke Impact Scale-16, and Montreal Cognitive Assessment were observed in the treatment group.
Some strokes attributable to large-artery atherosclerosis are not being recognized as such because of <50% stenosis.
Those who slept more than 8 hours had a 146% greater risk of stroke.
Patients taking pioglitazone saw a 24% reduction in risk for recurrent stroke or myocardial infarction compared to placebo.
The risk among people with migraine with aura was especially high for cardioembolic stroke.
Surprisingly, multiple types of stroke were associated with a greater risk of seizure than TBI.
The authors speculate that women may have pre-stroke functional deficits, and minorities may have poorer access to care.
Dr Albert Favate addresses some of the hottest topics concerning stroke care and patient management.
Over 20% of women currently on HRT saw an increase in migraine severity.
The guidelines recommend that physicians be specially trained in endovascular neurosurgery in order to perform the procedure.
All is not lost for patients presenting with severe stroke beyond the 6-hour mark.
Time to treatment for ischemic stroke is critical and directly affects functional outcomes.
The long-term benefits of endovascular thrombectomy appear to offset the costs of the procedure.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Higher Levels of Cholesterol May Protect Men From Parkinson Disease
- Early Clinical Traits of Multiple Sclerosis Prodrome Identified
- Chronic Pain May Be Contributor to Suicide
- Ajovy Injection Approved for Migraine Prevention in Adults
- FDA Approves Tiglutik for the Treatment of Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
- 5 Key Findings Presented at 2018 Parkinson Disease Conference
- Parkinson Disease and the Gut: Treatment Potential Abounds
- Managing Comorbid Migraine and Mood Disorders: A Synergistic Approach
- Stroke-Code Patients With Low NIHSS Score, No Acute Imaging Findings Often Misdiagnosed
- Ethical Challenges of Nusinersen: Considerations When Counseling on Treatment
- Brivaracetam Effective for Reducing Seizures in Patients with Epileptic Encephalopathies
- Familial Hemiplegic Migraine Attacks May Be Associated With Cortical Swelling
- Natalizumab Improves Cognitive Function in Multiple Sclerosis
- Fremanezumab May Have Long-Term Efficacy as a Prophylactic for Chronic Migraine
- Propofol May Decrease Delay in Neurocognitive Recovery