Generic Name and Formulations:
Isoniazid 300mg; scored tabs.
Various generic manufacturers
Indications for Isoniazid:
Prophylaxis and treatment of susceptible tuberculosis.
Prophylaxis: 300mg once daily. Active infection: 5mg/kg daily; max 300mg once daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Prophylaxis: 10mg/kg once daily; max 300mg daily. Active infection: 10–20mg/kg once daily; max 500mg daily. Do not interrupt therapy.
Drug-induced hepatitis. Previous isoniazid-associated hepatic injury. Severe adverse reactions to isoniazid (eg, drug fever, chills, arthritis). Acute liver disease of any etiology.
Impaired renal or hepatic function. Monitor hepatic and ocular function. Alcoholism. Diabetes. Increased risk of liver damage with increasing age. Multiple drug therapy and concomitant pyridoxine may be necessary. Pregnancy. Nursing mothers.
Potentiates phenytoin. Alcohol increases risk of hepatitis. Pyridoxine deficiency increases risk of neuropathy.
Peripheral neuropathy (esp. in slow acetylators), elevated serum transaminases (SGOT; SGPT), bilirubinemia, bilirubinuria, jaundice, hepatitis (may be fatal), nausea, vomiting, epigastric distress, pancreatitis, blood dyscrasias, hypersensitivity reactions (eg, skin eruptions, TEN, DRESS), pyridoxine deficiency, hyperglycemia, pellagra, metabolic acidosis, gynecomastia, rheumatic syndrome, SLE-like syndrome.
Formerly known under the brand names INH, Laniazid.
Neurology Advisor Articles
- Some Statins May Be Associated With Cognition, Memory Deficits
- Neuropathic Pain Treatments
- New Monoclonal Antibody BAN2401 Reduces Amyloid Plaques, Improves Cognition in Alzheimer's
- Nonpharmacologic Interventions for Alzheimer's Have Greater Impact on Outcomes Than Currently Available Medications
- Vagus Nerve Stimulation in Pediatric Epilepsy: Weighing the Risks and Benefits
- OnabotulinumtoxinA for Post-Stroke Spasticity: Treatment Strategies and Limitations
- Tau Associated With Loss of Anterior Temporal White Matter Integrity
- Location Probability Learning Unimpaired in Parkinson Disease
- Prenatal Tdap Vaccination Not Linked to Autism Risk
- AMA Adopts Policy to Advance Gender Equity in Medicine